CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mjk

28th December 2016, 10:26
I'm stuck!
Grid all filled in, have worked out that the 'hero' is not the obvious one "W", This crossword I now feel has a connection to the day it was published? Please can some kind person help me with the theme-related name and where the statue is before I tear my hair out!!!
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

28th December 2016, 10:44
There's another, earlier thread with big hints. If the 'hero' is not the obvious W one, the remaining letters will give you the correct one, which will lead you to the statue.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

mjk

28th December 2016, 11:19
Thanks malone
I've tried to anagram the remaining letters after getting rid of "W" but can come up with nothing? Is it just one word or more?
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

28th December 2016, 11:24
If you get rid of W...Y, the remaining letters spell out the hero. There was no anagram needed, you just start from a different cell.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

mjk

28th December 2016, 12:00
Thanks again malone, I've found the name - but, theres always a but! I need the second letter of 34 across to be an "E" now I've removed the "E"(from W.......y I'm left with an "R" Hope this makes some sense!
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

28th December 2016, 12:19
Sorry, I wasn't very clear - probably because it was days ago that I did this! You can use the 'e' to form the real hero - the 'r' is erased in either case. It would have been perfect if both people could have been formed at the same time, from the letters, but maybe just too tricky?
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

mjk

28th December 2016, 12:23
thanks malone - you're a star! Have a wonderful New Year!
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

28th December 2016, 12:31
Thanks, mjk, glad I could help. Happy solving in 2017!
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

28th December 2016, 21:55
Just tidying up. Does anyone know the significance of the title "Plunder"?

Also the shape looks like something I would associate with "W" rather than the actual hero. Is there another interpretation of it?
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

28th December 2016, 22:08
The shape is definitely linked to the correct hero- and a better representation than if it had been W!
Another word for Plunder is B???Y.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post