CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simong

13th May 2010, 12:20
Hi AJT - hope all is well with you... Not surprised to see that you've already completed this - congratulations anyway!

I hope I did thank you for providing the link to these crosswords? If not, apologies for the omission and belated thanks... I did have a feeble attempt at last week's but with precious little success so will be interested in seeing the solution when it becomes available...

I will also have a go at this new one, but more out of a misplaced sense of optimism than one of expectation...
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

ajt

13th May 2010, 12:33
Sudokulover I feel like saying "May I call you Sudo?" It was a good xword, wasn't it? - quite straightforward, no erasing, except that I thought some of the wordplay was obscure - witness 36 ac. 34 ac. hush is st, in nay.
and 15 d - a for ace, in ante - a previous paymanet.

Hello SimonG - Persevere with this one and add another string to your bow - whatever that means. As I've just remarked, this is quite easy
10 of 27  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

13th May 2010, 13:08
Thanks for the explanations. Yes 36a very obscure! Yes - you may call me sudo!!!

Do you do the EV crossword from the Sun Telegraph? Managed Sun 9th's quite easily but can't get anywhere with last Sunday's.
11 of 27  -   Report This Post

ajt

13th May 2010, 13:13
No, I don't get the Telegraph - I'll see if I can download it. On Sunday I do the Mephisto and cryptic in the Sunday Times, and Azed from the Guardian. I can't remember whether you do the Guardian Genius monthly?
12 of 27  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

13th May 2010, 13:31
Yes to Azed and guardian monthly (just started a few weeks ago on your advice!) Azed 1980 suited my mathematical brain!(Like the April Generalist but with cryptics instead of GK)
13 of 27  -   Report This Post

ajt

13th May 2010, 13:36
I've only done the Generalist once one before last, and was disappointed to find the most recent was a GK - I don't do them, prefer the wordplay. I guessed, of course, that you're a mathematician - lucky you to have both words and numbers. I've just started a maths class, but more for the philosophy of numbers than the actual maths, - a long, long time since my schooldays!
14 of 27  -   Report This Post

silly boy

13th May 2010, 20:48
Wow ! I've got the theme and the perimeter words ! lol Just got to fill in the middle now ! lol ;o)
15 of 27  -   Report This Post

zardoz

13th May 2010, 22:55
Hello all.

Thought there wasn't a forum this week. No number attached. So muddled through & got it.

36a ?? & I'm Canadian.
S(KIN)NY(RIBS) = SNY (US channel) KIN -- catty, RIBS -- guys (cables)
as far as I can make out.
16 of 27  -   Report This Post

zardoz

13th May 2010, 23:10
New word for me this week: CHAV
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav

What a hoot! Check the pictures. Is this catching on? Our shops are full of these gross checkered shirts and pants, & hoodies. It's called the "gangsta" look here.
17 of 27  -   Report This Post

ajt

13th May 2010, 23:19
Hi Zardoz - Chambers has a beautiful definition of "chav" - a boorish uneducated person who appears to have access to money but not necessarily to taste" - probably derived froma Romany word "chavi" - child. What a glorious put-down! Have you finished to crossword?
18 of 27  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Spectator