CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

22nd October 2016, 21:10
Appears this is a new solver, better known to the Groaniad : I'll attempt to cut him some slack.

I have 22 cells, and 11 of those are double-checked by across and down clues. The others, gradually, I have become certain of. And this is my biggest criticism of the puzzle, that having for all intents and purposes solved it, still quite a lot of time must be spent checking the detail.

And I'm still not sure what shape to draw through the cells. Looking at the first line of the themed verse, you'd think that the essence would be reproduction. The shape vaguely resembles a heart, or perhaps the letters SR, or 2 chromosomes in metaphase, or 2 spermatazoans, or perhaps just the 2 numerals of the year in question...I don't know, and don't care any more...

And I think that there is some ambiguity in the entry for 30D, though I plumped for G.
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

meursault

22nd October 2016, 21:13
Now, you see what I'm reduced to. I can't any longer distinguish setters from solvers...
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

22nd October 2016, 22:14
Hi Meursault

I think the continuous line is supposed to represent the date. The last 2 figures of it in any case.

30d must be g to make the opening line correct.
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

gem94

22nd October 2016, 22:39
The placement has an added significance.
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

meursault

23rd October 2016, 08:53
Thanks DJA, I'd considered the last two digits of the year, but they seem to be a bit squashed up at the bottom. And yes, I was forgetting that the G was needed...

...and thanks Gem94. meaning between certain rows, I think.
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

gem94

23rd October 2016, 09:34
Yes, there is that, but also, I don't think the placement in relation to a clue number is just coincidence.
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

dryden

23rd October 2016, 09:52
I thought it was a very nice puzzle. My only slight reservation about the endgame is that by drawing a single curved line as per the preamble instruction, the final representation doesn't look quite right (ie, there ought to be a break in row five).
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

wintonian

23rd October 2016, 12:32
Hi, Dryden,
I couldn't resist noting that the title of the thematic work is the same as the title of a poem written by your namesake to celebrate the year 1667. Possibly an anniversary theme for a puzzle next year?
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

dryden

23rd October 2016, 16:48
I better lodge that in my memory bank for next year in case it appears in Listener form.
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

orson

24th October 2016, 18:15
Done it all except for 44a:

End cycling for kids, say.
TU?S

Thanks in anticipation.
10 of 32  -   Report This Post