CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimc

9th February 2009, 22:04
Ok, my head really hurts now. I've had a good go at the Mephisto this week and only have 2 to complete (for which any help gratefully received):

5d See Italian restaurant snubbed, offering plates of worms! (6) ... I have ELY?RA. 'elytra', which fits, has to do with beetle wings not worms, so I'm puzzled and wondering if I have a wrong letter or two.

27d Search in Leith police force is mounted (4) ... I have SC?R and think the answer is SCAR; or is it SCUR or something else?

Thanks, in advance.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 22:08
By the way, I'm amazed that the same, obscure word should crop up as answers both in the Mephisto (20a) and the MoS this week.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

9th February 2009, 22:21
Could the second one be SCUP (Scottish Constabulary) + up (mounted)
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

9th February 2009, 22:22
Hi Jim,
ELY(See of)TRAtoria
SCUR Scot.for search RUC is mounted.
What have you put in for 3d?
Best regards,
Jerry
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

9th February 2009, 22:24
Sorry Jim,should have added ELYTRA according tthe gospel of St.Chambers are the plates of certain
worms.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 22:32
Thanks for the answers and explanations.

I put CHOKEYS ('key'=essential, 'chos'='chose' with the e cut off; 'chose'=a legal term and 'thing' in French also).
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

9th February 2009, 22:36
Jim,
I also put CHOKEYS in but where do colleges come
in to it?
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 22:38
I saw a definition for CHOKEYS as "a correctional institution where persons are confined while on trial or for punishment". 'College' is also a slang word for prison.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

9th February 2009, 22:43
Thanks a lot Jim,
I knew chokey was a prison but had never heard of the college connexion!
Good luck with the prize,
Jerry
9 of 9  -   Report This Post