CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

24th September 2016, 14:23
I think 23D is wrong. Chambers (2008) lists MEER as an alternative for MERE, but only the first 3 entries. The entry for MERE with the definition (dialect) 'a boundary' is the 4th entry.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

24th September 2016, 15:34
You're quite correct Meursault - it is wrong. A shame as it is a sloppy error in an otherwise fine puzzle.
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

meursault

24th September 2016, 16:46
Yes, I don't want to give the wrong impression. That error should have been spotted by the editorial staff. To fit so much thematic material into the grid was certainly an accomplishment, though it is a sword that eventually the setter himself falls upon. For once the solver has spotted the theme, the gridfill is very rapid. Nor did it take long to spot the theme. There was also a design error - it's not necessary to even look at the thematic clues, and a publication error - it couldn't have been published at a more wrong time of year...
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

wintonian

24th September 2016, 17:13
This was a quick solve as I guessed the author and title of the poem almost immediately, realised that there was a key 11-letter word in the poem (though I didn't know that the author's spelling was not the same as the spelling in Chambers), and spotted a couple of answers to the thematic clues and a couple of the jumbled sequences in down clues that confirmed everything.

I suspect that most people over a certain age came across this poem at school (and probably had to learn it off by heart), but it's neat that Hedge-sparrow noticed the possibilities of the various thematic items and the ability to fit the items listed in verses 2 and 3 of the poem into the grid in symmetric positions.

Straightforward clues (I'd also noted the slip-up with 23d with a missing cross-reference in Chambers to the alternative spelling that actually contains the meaning in the clue), but I agree with Meursault that there's less satisfaction in fitting a list of words that we can identify from the poem to wordplay-only clues than actually solving the clues. As Meursault notes, the puzzle should have been set several months ago, given the thematic hint provided by the title.
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

crates

25th September 2016, 14:38
Agree with previous comments. I completed it - then returned to parse the thematic clues - but I have a blind spot when trying to parse 18D.
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

gem94

25th September 2016, 16:08
Chinese word for 1/3 of a mile removed from word meaning straight
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

crates

25th September 2016, 16:13
Thanks gem94. All clear now. Must brush-up on my Chinese measurements!
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

escuan

25th September 2016, 17:38
In common with other solvers once I had the theme I didn't bother with the thematic clues - definitely a design fault. But I have no idea what the title means. Can anyone help (hopefully without giving two much away!)
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

meursault

25th September 2016, 20:10
Escuan, last 3 words of line 2 of verse 3.
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

escuan

25th September 2016, 22:44
Thank you Meursault; I don't think I'd ever have found that!
10 of 19  -   Report This Post