CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andrea

9th February 2009, 15:10
clue is: the flower of the lotus plant, p????a, really stuck, thinking palea but not convinced
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

royston bowden

9th February 2009, 15:26
Hi,

The only name for the Lotus flower I can find is PADMA I hope you need a plural!

R.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 15:26
Hi!

PADMA is Sanskrit for the lotus flower. Hope this fits!
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

9th February 2009, 16:31
Errrm, in Andrea's original post the known letters are given as P????A, so PADMA won't fit unless of course the plural is PADMAA. However PROTEA, the South African sugarbush, which is also sometimes erroneously known as a Lotus flower, will fit.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

royston bowden

9th February 2009, 17:08
Hi all,

Very clever John, but you ought to complain to the compiler that he is completely up the creek a far as his botany goes! We go to the trouble of answering his clue properley and are completely wrong!

Regards

Royston
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 19:21
Actually, in my and Royston's defence, I did realise that PADMA might be too few letters but ..

... but ... Andrea had ambiguously written "clue is: the flower of the lotus plant, p????a, really stuck, thinking palea but not convinced". Noting the 5-letter 'palea', I thought 'padma' might also fit.

As you can tell, I do not have access to the original crossword.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

andrea

9th February 2009, 22:48
hi all, thanks for the replies, answer is 5 letters, i might have stuck an extra ? in accidentally, crossword is gardening based, papaya being the down word for p and snapdragon being the last a. so padma or palea? other answers seem easy but this one is hard!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 22:59
Hi!

I'd go with 'padma' if it fits as it does have to do with the lotus flower, whereas 'palea' is to do with grasses, I think.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

9th February 2009, 23:46
Ah, a typo in the original question. Oh well, it looks like it must be PADMA after all.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post