CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sudokulover

6th May 2010, 14:32
Afternoon AJT - late starting this today - almost finished now -how about you?
1 of 25  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th May 2010, 14:45
All done now - can't say that I enjoyed it much though!
"genius 83" generated a lot of discussion - is this a monthly crossword. How does one enter? Postal or online?
(I have printed out the grid - is that acceptable or do I need the copy from the newspaper?)
2 of 25  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 15:00
Hello Sudokulover - first of all, theGenius puzzle. It is published on the first Monday of each month, but only online. You access it via the Guardian website. You can download it to work on it, but you then enter it online. You must first register when you wish to enter it. The crossword editor

writes online, also the first Monday of the month, and usually gives the number entries, and the winner, of course. You will have gathered from the thread that it's never a straightforward crossword. I've been doing it since it started - it started out as subscription only, but now there's no charge. Do try it.

Now the Spectator - I've got quite a lot of it done, but I have't found the theme yet. I think I've made a few mistakes, as some of the patterns I'm left with look most unlikely.
3 of 25  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th May 2010, 15:07
The theme is a person at 4d. You probably do have correct letters for your other unclued ones, they come from 4d and some are not English! Hope that doesn't sound double dutch (or even double danish!!)
4 of 25  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 15:11
Thank you - perhaps I'm not going crazy after all.At 4 d I have a name - someone I've never heard of. Then one of the unclued at 38 ac seems to bear no relation to anything else. How then does one find Dutch words? Thanks for your help.
5 of 25  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 15:19
Slip of the whatever - I meant Danish, of course
6 of 25  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th May 2010, 15:20
38a was one of his works (google it and you will see it includes 12a(2 words not english) and 26d
7 of 25  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 15:29
Thank you so much - I'm well on the way now. Is 23ac another Danish word? I think I must have 21 d wrong
8 of 25  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th May 2010, 15:39
23a is 2 words (4,3) and goes with 40a for another of his works (biblical characters)
9 of 25  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 15:44
Sudokulover - thank you so much for your help. Do you speak Danish?

I must go now to make my mark, and finish this when I come home.
10 of 25  -   Report This Post