CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jon

6th May 2010, 00:24
i have a crossword and i need help, the crossword is professional letter review and the question is a 6 letter word, the secound letter is e and the question is write a _______ letter when you quite a job
71 of 97  -   Report This Post

simong

6th May 2010, 05:42
Hi AJT,

Apologies for not responding yesterday - I live overseas and we're 2 hours ahead of the UK so my day is slightly out of sync with yours...

Anyway, a night's sleep has provided the necessary inspiration to complete 36ac and, with it, the whole puzzle. As you said, it is a lovely answer (and in response to your earlier question, I am more than old enough to remember shillings!).

The only lingering doubt in my mind is over 26d and VALERIE vs. VALARIE... what are your thoughts?
72 of 97  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 07:03
Good morning Simon, Valarie/Valerie was my waking thught, too, and now I'm inclined to think it's Valarie. Valeria is the "possible 21st", the brackets (Araucaria's) say ria vale (farewell) and I think he means to indicate an anagram. Unfortunately I submitted mine yesterday with Valerie, and I'm pretty sure I was wrong. I had never seen the name spelt as "Valarie" but I googled it after I'd entered mine and found quite a few.

I've just downloaded today's Spectator offering. How do we stand the anguish?

73 of 97  -   Report This Post

dizoz

6th May 2010, 08:07
hi, all fellow-sufferers. followed through on your theme help. Only fly in ointment is 7d. Have b?r?w?e. ??
74 of 97  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 08:13
It's Berowne
75 of 97  -   Report This Post

simong

6th May 2010, 08:42
Hi AJT,

In which case I'll go with Valarie and maybe one of us will be lucky! As you say, we now have a long time to wait to see the answers which is frustrating...

That said, I've enjoyed the various interactions with you and with others on this site teasing out what I hope are the answers. I seemed to go from a nearly empty grid to a completed one within the space of a few hours so many thanks for all your help in making that transition.

Now back to the daily and weekly puzzles until next month's challenge...
76 of 97  -   Report This Post

dizoz

6th May 2010, 08:43
ta, AJT - I counted Valarie in 20 nad wasn't looking for theme in 7d - but re-reading 26 I realise that 26 was possible 21 . Cheers
77 of 97  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 09:02
To SimonG - Don't you do today's Spectator crossword? If you don't know it, ask here for directions.
78 of 97  -   Report This Post

simong

6th May 2010, 09:11
Hi AJT, I've not tried so, yes, directions please and I'll have a look at it later as now I need to plunge into the labrynth of Bahrain's passport directorate to try to sort out my wife's residence permint...
79 of 97  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th May 2010, 09:48
Google newspaperdirect.thespectator, then from the selection click "Smart edition". This is the Spectator magazine. In a column on the right-hand side are thumbnails of the pages. Trail this through almost to the end. You have a tool on their site to outline the crossword and print it. I think you will enjoy it - I've only been doing it a few weeks. You will surely see a thread here on it later.
80 of 97  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » genius 83