CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mh

3rd May 2010, 07:22
I like your reverse etas to give sate, meaning to please, but I can't find a Makarios reference to ETA (of course Basque separatists call themselves ETA). The only initials I found were EOKA which was in favour of ENOSIS, ie union with Greece!
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

mh

3rd May 2010, 07:24
AJT is right! Clues that start "In Glasgow..", for example, often mean a Scottish word is the answer.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd May 2010, 07:25
Eluate - the only part of the wordplay that I understood was ate - took in.Eluate is the purified liquid, but where the "elu" comes from I couldn't find.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

chrisg

3rd May 2010, 08:14
clutching at straws here...but a membrane is part of a cell..whats inside = EL then U Ate...I will now retire from this thread !
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd May 2010, 08:18
You struck a chord, ChrisG - velum is a membrame. Thank you
10 of 14  -   Report This Post

stephy

9th May 2010, 08:34
What's the general opinion of McKenna as a compiler? I can usually finish Mephisto, but think his are less elegant.
11 of 14  -   Report This Post

brian

10th May 2010, 12:18
I have to say I am not a fan. I think some of his clues are far too obscure...
12 of 14  -   Report This Post

ajt

10th May 2010, 12:29
When he started to contribute I thought they were quite easy, but now as you say,they are often obscure. Also with Mephisto generally nowadays, there doesn't seem to be the wit that there was when I started doing them - oh, many years ago.
13 of 14  -   Report This Post

brian

10th May 2010, 12:57
Agreed, I often think you need to be thinking exactly what he was thinking when coming up with the clue as it may not be totally specific.

I think a fair number of his clues don't completely nail the answer to just one word..
14 of 14  -   Report This Post