CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

son1ofrover1

5th July 2016, 14:06
Help please ! I have a full grid but am struggling to locate the 17 regularly arranged contiguous cells. C... S.... and V...... I (meaning 1 ?) run downwards in a partially regular manner from right to left, but even if that's right - which I think is doubtful - I cannot see from the photos of the PORTRAIT that I have found which colours to use for shading, save for - presumably - p... b... for the d.. (and b...n in that cell ?)
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th July 2016, 16:40
Hi son1ofrover1, I think you're looking for a more complicated endgame than is necessary and you've already sussed it: the 17 cells should be b... with 1having a pbd in an appropriate approximate position.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

5th July 2016, 17:40
Many thanks Ginge. I think I'll go for the 9th cell for the pbd and shade it & the rest b... k, not b...
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th July 2016, 17:55
Hi again son1ofrover1, do you not mean b???n
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th July 2016, 17:57
Apologies if I mislead you with my 1st post, miscounted the number of dots which I used to be consistent with you, I should have used ?s.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

5th July 2016, 19:29
B...n it is then (even though it doesn't appear in a jagged - as opposed to straight - line in the PORTRAIT and b...k - to represent s...e - would therefore seem more appropriate). Oops, I'm over thinking again!
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th July 2016, 20:50
Hi again son1orover1. If you google "pbd" and look at the Wiki entry it mentions the colour of the band the pbd appears in.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

riversk

6th July 2016, 02:08
Is the pbd supposed to coincide with/fill one of the 17 letters to be shaded? That letter occurs relatively farther down the grid than in the original portrait, but it would arguably make the solution more elegant.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th July 2016, 08:28
Hi riversk, as I don't submit I hadn't given the placement much thought until a friend asked me the same question last evening. I think there will have to be leeway when assessing individual entries but I agree that option is certainly more elegant, if unlike me with Homer-finger like letters in each cell the relative proportions would be distorted. I know this doesn't help much, sorry.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV1234