CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

20th June 2016, 11:24
WSJ crossword
I got 22 dn first!
I have kept a commonplace book since I was 14. About then I saw the play "Libel!" by Edward Wooll and was very struck by the lines-
"One thing alone not God himself can do
To make undone that which has once been done"
Wooll attributed this to 22dn, which I duly put in the book and never forgot.
Turns out it was Aristo(totle) all along. I've corrected it in the book after (cough cough) many decades....but the mistake was useful for the clue.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

ab

20th June 2016, 11:42
Hi Rosalind. Old Ari did indeed say it, but he was quoting Agathon. "Agathon is right in saying - For this alone is lacking even to God, To make undone things that have once been done."
I should get out more,I know.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

rosalind

20th June 2016, 12:15
Thanks ab, I shall add a further note to my book. I doubt anyone will ever read it, but it's good to be accurate
Me, too. get out more. Not in this rain, though.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th June 2016, 12:38
Hi ros (& ab: yet another impressive display of knowledge),
Coming from a Maths & Science background I tended not to spend a lot of time on languages or classics (much to my regret now) other than mythology which interests me still and while not directly related, yes I love Tolkein.
Even lif only to yourself,your commonplacer book must make interesting reading especially your first entries written a decade or two ago.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

20th June 2016, 13:12
Commonplace book: hadn't heard of this before, so googled. Thanks for continuing my education.

Not good for the sales of post-it notes, methinks!
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

rosalind

20th June 2016, 13:14
I have a science background as well, ginge. I think many were pushed that way regadless of inclination.
I look at my teenage self with amusement- I was very solemn. The whole of "For the Fallen" is there, next to Rupert Brooke's "I thought when love for you died, I would die. It's dead. Alone, most strangely, I live on". Phew!
Sorry. fantasy not my thing. Do you enjoy the films or prefer just reading the books?
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th June 2016, 16:11
Hi again ros, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you how many times I've reread Lord of the Rings and I really appreciate the Jackson films being almost true to the books.
I wonder if I'm unique or in an extremely small minority who rarely thinks of the past (and the future for that matter), with a certainly no regrets get on with it "philosophy"/attitude but I suppose my somewhat selfish trait is only possible not having any family (commitments). Other my books and music I'm not remotely materialistic and I truly don't have any photographs of myself or previous partners or people either in or were in my life. It works for me.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

rosalind

20th June 2016, 17:09
It can only be good to find what works for you and stick with it.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post