CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phil535

19th June 2016, 00:03
I am really struggling with this. I have managed to solve three clues and have yet to get anything into the grid. Am I alone??? To push me on can someone help how I go from my answer to 12a to the grid entry. I have used Qat to identify the possible entries but cannot find a definition of any of them within the other across clues.
1 of 65  -   Report This Post

escuan

19th June 2016, 07:28
Your answer to 12 ac has 8 letters. try taking 1 letter in turn away and anagramming the result. This is pretty tedious, but I found one word whose definition appears (3 words) lower down the list of clues. That's the grid entry. If you look at 5 ac there's a fairly straightforward clue omitting the last two words. That's the grid entry. The last two words are the definition to another grid entry though I haven't found it yet. I've manage to enter a few words using these two methods but I don't know whether I'll be patient enough to persevere.
2 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

19th June 2016, 08:21
I found the solving tedious to start with but things picked up once I'd managed a few grid entries. I quite liked 1dn. Think of 'National' in a sporting sense and there are three extra words in the clue relating to money. I am now struggling to find the quotation, I fear I may fall at the final fence.
3 of 65  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

19th June 2016, 10:48
I same boat as you planks.

Wondering if 25d is a hint or a red herring
4 of 65  -   Report This Post

dylan

19th June 2016, 11:21
The entries definitely get easy as you get further in. I have the grid filled, with the two nine letter sets , giving a standard sort of instruction. However, the obvious work from which the quotation comes doesn't seem to include it, at the expected place.

Incidentally, the two pairs of extra words give nice pairs of answers that seem completely disconnected with the man theme- or am I going in the wrong direction. Hints on end game, please
5 of 65  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

19th June 2016, 11:32
Dylan, you seem to be exactly where we are - any ideas in our question below?
6 of 65  -   Report This Post

paul

19th June 2016, 11:34
Are woodlouse and planks related?
7 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

19th June 2016, 11:49
Two surnames appear in the grid that have something in common, also with the quote in the endgame. The pairs of words should give you the location of the quote but not which work it is in - according to me anyway. I have sussed the quote, a more rewarding endgame than last week in my opinion.
8 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

19th June 2016, 11:53
No red herring, woodlouse - and no relative as far as I know
9 of 65  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

19th June 2016, 12:08
Sorry planks for being so slow.

Liked the surnames, connection understood, source confirmed. Is any of this hinted at in the preamble?
10 of 65  -   Report This Post