CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

farr

9th June 2016, 19:44
Having a hard time with this one! The answer to 9a Eyelid injured fixing jerk's wheel (10, two words) would be a big help. Thanks
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

9th June 2016, 20:17
I've tried to come up with a helpful hint, but can't - so Idle Pulley it is! (anagram of eyelid and pull/jerk).
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

farr

9th June 2016, 20:22
Thanks Malone (as ever to my rescue). I'm not sure how I was supposed to figure out a change of word like that!
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

9th June 2016, 20:35
You're welcome - and I'm not even sure if the jerk/pull thing is right, I just felt I had to come up with some sort of parsing!
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

10th June 2016, 16:55
That was a bit of a slog and I'm not sure about the parsing of quite a few e.g. 31 Girders with 200 great faults (6, hyphenated). It's either I-beams or H-beams. Which and why can anyone tell me?
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

ginge

10th June 2016, 17:00
Hi teenieleek, H is the medieval Roman symbol for 200 (they are given in Chambers).
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

ginge

10th June 2016, 17:02
PS, not sure if you wee asking about beams = great faults which is again given in Chambers.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

10th June 2016, 17:17
Thank you Ginge. I was so scunnered with this by the end that I posted a question rather than look it up, lazy I know.

As for idle pulley! I thought it was "not done" to have synonyms inside anagrams.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

ginge

10th June 2016, 17:29
Hi again teenieleek, in relation to your last point it's not a "ghost" anagram (which I think you're referring to) but a part anagram as a container (container indicator fixing) with pull as a synonym for jerk's written in full (if pull appeared in any other form ie lupl or mixed within an anagram of eyelid it would be a "ghost"). Hope I've explained that satisfactorily.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

ginge

10th June 2016, 17:32
Slight correction; if it appeared as llup it would still be OK as long as there was also a reversal indicator.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post