CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

setanta1

5th June 2016, 21:58
I am a keen doer and a frequent solver of the Times Cryptic crossword but lately I feel that some setters are using tenuous and obscure connections in the clues they are providing. No.26430 was a good example.
We solvers want a good but fair challenge. It is unsatisfactory to solve the crossword but feel that one has achieved it with too much intuition and less skill. 22 across in the crossword referred to above is an example of such an outcome.
Please setters stick to the rules!
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

shooty

5th June 2016, 22:03
I could not agree more. I've dropt from 5 to 3 tabloid xwords a day and 2 of them are becoming a bore.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

dragonfly

7th June 2016, 17:48
One of the clues in Saturday's Times2 crossword would be impossible for most people to work out, unless they use a site like Crossword Solver - or were experts in old Welsh literature!

35 across - Medieval Welsh book of tales (10).

Answer: Mabinogion

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofWales/The-Mabinogion/
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

dragonfly

7th June 2016, 17:49
Setanto1 and Shooty - Forgot to say that I agree with you!
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

pendragon

7th June 2016, 19:10
I would have thought the Mabinogion was sufficiently well known to warrant its inclusion.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

elle

7th June 2016, 20:21
I agree with you here, Pendragon.
Leastways, I knew the answer!
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

david w

8th June 2016, 16:53
A bugbear of mine is the clue which can be derived from the solution but is not a means of reaching it. There was an example of this in the last Guardian prize puzzle.

"Mrs English repeatedly ignored by Courier and Herald? (6)"

Can anyone seeing that clue for the first time solve it?
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

elle

8th June 2016, 17:02
Yes, I think so......but only by knowing another word for herald and courier and then working it out backwards.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post