CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimmy

28th April 2010, 09:25
On my Monday 26th April Wee Stinker effort, I'm baffled by 15 across. Clue is "DO TO DO" and I have the letters -C-A-E(6). cAN ANYONE SAVE ME?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

28th April 2010, 09:39
octave as in note d up to note d = 8 notes = octave
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

5 gears in reverse

28th April 2010, 10:58
Sorry to be pedantic - but Do or Doh is C
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

harrhy

28th April 2010, 11:08
I'm afraid Do / Doh isn't C but the tonic of whichever scale is being used. The scale can start on any note but tonic sol fa gives the relationships between the notes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_sol-fa
(Dad was a music teacher!)
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

28th April 2010, 11:24
sorry, I meant note do up to note do (not D) as in Doe a deer, a female deer etc... Answer's still octave though
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

ixion

28th April 2010, 11:33
Oc"tave (?), n. [F., fr. L. octava an eighth, fr. octavus eighth, fr. octo eight. See Eight, and cf. Octavo, Utas.]

1. The eighth day after a church festival, the festival day being included; also, the week following a church festival. The octaves of Easter." Jer. Taylor.

2. (Mus.) (a) The eighth tone in the scale; the interval between one and eight of the scale, or any interval of equal length; an interval of five tones and two semitones. (b) The whole diatonic scale itself.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

harrhy

28th April 2010, 19:07
The wee stinker seems to have some interesting clues! Where is it to be found? Is it online anywhere?
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

ixion

28th April 2010, 21:16
that was the only interesting clue this week! - not included in the Heralds online cwords unfortunately - comes out every monday
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

harrhy

29th April 2010, 10:36
Thanks Ixion. I don't think I'll be seeing a copy of the Herald around here, lucky if I find a Guardian!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post