CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

zeberdee

28th April 2010, 00:56
For those of us who don't get this publication and are discouraged to ask for any letters (completely against John from Arrans own guidelines - a bit like allowing yourself a cigarette with a pint if you are in Parliament)
maybe take a leaf from Big Daves site
http://bigdave44.com/
and use transparent writing.
ie

Typing
<p>{<font color=transparent>ans?e?</font>}</p>
will result in

{ans?e?}

The p just means open a new paragraph and the brackets are to indicate where to highlight.
10 of 18  -   Report This Post

philip

28th April 2010, 14:34
Zeberdee
Sorry if we have offended you.
Several of us seem to have started a Tuesday love in over the RT crosswords. It started a few weeks ago when some of the clues were horrific, so every week a few of us "get together" to discuss it. I think you will find its only one ciggy a week, and as a non smoker I can understand your frustration.
PHILIP
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

zeberdee

28th April 2010, 14:41
Actually i don't smoke either. Readind my post back i do sound a bit snotty which wasn't my intention at all, I enjoy reading your threads and know that John from Arran likes a bit of html.
Best wishes
Z.
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

28th April 2010, 16:34
I've seen that trick on Big Dave's blog, but unfortunately "transparent" seems to equate to "green" in my browser (Opera 10.52). I'll try and get to the stylesheet for this page and see if I can find out what the background colour is. Although very close, I don't think it's quite white.
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

zeberdee

28th April 2010, 17:32
Hi John - sorry if i sounded rude on my 1st post, it was just poorly worded.
I only made the suggestion as a bit of fun to pass the time.
my color meter does say the background is white (in firefox)but i agree it doesn't look white,maybe the blue gives an optical illusion?
or the meter is not very good. I got it here if you're interested;
http://designorati.com/articles/t1/illustration/672/freeware-friday-two-free-color-apps.php

all the best
Z

14 of 18  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

28th April 2010, 19:45
zeberdee, thanks for that link. In fact the background colour of the main page is white, but inside each message box it is very slightly grey (#FAFAFA).

I think the "transparent" attribute is only valid for foregrounds in CSS3 so doesn't work in some browsers when written in HTML.

I hope this works:

{Invisible text}

15 of 18  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

28th April 2010, 19:50
Yes, that works in both Opera and Firefox. The latter is obviously more tolerant to non-WC3-compliant HTML.
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

zeberdee

28th April 2010, 20:33
Great work John, well solved.
as i said earlier my suggestion was just for fun but if anybody does want to use it you would type,I think.

<p>{<font color=#FAFAFA>I?visi?le te?t</font>}</p>

Also I know some characters can't be used (forward slash - for instance)so i would stick to question marks.
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

old gal

29th April 2010, 22:29
New to this site - have never finished RT crossword but enjoy the struggle. Have picked up on your hints and you really make me laugh!!!!
Keep solving guys
18 of 18  -   Report This Post