CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simond9x

23rd May 2016, 09:05
Having completed today's Guardian puzzle, I saw that one of the posters recommended today's Independent puzzle set by Paul/Punk. Having gone there, all that was shown was the grid, to the left of which was the word 'ACROSS' with the clues briefly flashing on and off below. This happened too quickly to actually read the clues but that wouldn't have mattered because the grid itself wasn't interactive. Has anyone else had this problem?

My PC recently automatically upgraded itself from Windows 8 to Windows 10 (something I would have preferred it not to have done). I never normally do the Indy so I don't know if I'd have had the same problem with Windows 8.

Anyway, any help or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd May 2016, 09:13
No idea, simon, but I may be able to help with your other problem. This computer yesterday, without permission, upgraded to Windows 10, but I have restored Windows 7 quite simply.

Start Menu
Settings
Update and Security
Recovery
Go back to Windows 7 (or 8)
Get started
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd May 2016, 09:14
Chrome only worked very intermittently in Windows 10, and Edge was painfully slow. Wonderful to have Windows 7 working again!
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

simond9x

23rd May 2016, 09:24
Thanks for that, Chris. My laptop is reinstalling 8.1 right now (I'm sending this on my phone). I wish I'd known about that facility the other morning - it would have saved a lot of heartache and swearing ;-)
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

simond9x

23rd May 2016, 10:32
...........and the Indy is working fine now that I've restored Windows 8.1. Thanks a lot, Chris!
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

syzygy

23rd May 2016, 23:23

simond9x

24th May 2016, 08:41
Thanks for the info syzygy but, having worked in IT myself for 40 years, it's normal process to fully test software before rolling it out to a wide user base, or at least have the courtesy to advise users that there may be problems and give them instructions on how to work through/around them. I was in the middle of an urgent task when Windows suddenly decided to update itself without my permission - a task I then couldn't complete for more than 2 hours. Once it had installed Windows 10, 2 of my 3 USB ports stopped working, one external back-up drive was no longer recognised in any of the 3 USB ports, and several applications refused to run. I'll take my chances staying on Windows 8.1
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

syzygy

24th May 2016, 23:32
That's nasty, Simond9x. I was in IT for decades too, which is why I don't let anything auto-update. Uncheck that option for Windows. It will save you another roll-back, which I gather is not always 100%. Perhaps Restore points get corrupted as well.
As I mentioned, they slipped in the Win 10 upgrade at the bottom of the Win 7 security updates. Sneaky. There was no warning. Fortunately, I perused the list before I let it run.
The "oops" factor is far too common for all manner of software these days. We wouldn't release anything to users until it was thoroughly tested, including OS updates. Of course, Unix / Linux-based systems are relatively easy to fix, because of open source. Windows is a black box.
I'm hanging on to Win 7 as long as it has support, but I will run W 10 on the same machine. The latter is inevitable. No choice with a new computer I bought. It will be an interesting weekend.

Cheers.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

syzygy

24th May 2016, 23:42
PS: and then there's Java, which was recently updated & may have caused your initial problem via Win 10. I've had a few oddities with sites that use it.
The Guardian Genius still isn't up to snuff.

Well, at least you won't be bored. (-;
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

simond9x

25th May 2016, 08:15
Thanks for the info and I've now checked the box that allows me to decide which updates I take. Yes, I realise Windows 10 is inevitable. I hung on to XP for as long as I could because of problems in the early release of Vista - in fact I bought a new laptop that had Vista on it and paid someone to strip it back and install XP on it instead. I think the thing that gets me is the underhand approach - it's only since I've had this problem that I read that Microsoft changed the default, when you click the red X in the top right of the Windows Update window, from being 'close the window' to 'close the window and action the update'.

Anyway, all working now. USB ports all seem to be OK, Independent crossword works fine, so all's good with the world (for now, at least)
10 of 10  -   Report This Post