CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattie2

26th April 2010, 09:43
Hi
Too late for most to offer a swap of clues but still struggling with 59 across 'lacking in taste'
i??i??p (as stated by another strufggler p comes from 'depict' = portray and 'i' from prisoner = barlinnie resident. That it seems not to be 'insipid' is driving me to distraction
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

ajt

26th April 2010, 09:50
Are you absolutely sure of "depict"? portray could be render, which would give you the d. There doesn't seem to be a word in the pattern you give.
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

mattie2

26th April 2010, 10:07
Hi

Ta for the reply. Much appreciated. As sure as i can be from the crucial clues. Depict comes from
D out of 'nipped' for "pinched sharply"
E out of Eileen for "... McCallum"
P assumed
I assumed
C out of cured for 'made well again'
T out of quintet for "5 piece band."
It kind of falls into place but leaves this strange word which starts with i out of "Iraqi" and has a middle i out of "prisoner'.
Deduct would be a great word if it meant 'portray' in any language!
regards
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

ajt

26th April 2010, 10:20
I think you have to assume that it's "deduct". I've been looking in a thesaurus, and some of th meanings of deduct are given as reason, surmise, gather, assume, derive - I think you could say that "portray" comes somewhere along the line. Not good, though. There's a good site at Chambers Word Wizard, which helps - I've tried that, and as I said, there's no other word that fits your pattern with the p at the end. Just take it as a rotten clue - they can't all be good.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

mattie2

26th April 2010, 10:41
Ta again. There is the occasional 'what is that?' moment with the Daily record crosswords on Saturday and Tuesday so you could well be right.

regards
5 of 5  -   Report This Post