CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trelos1

30th April 2016, 16:03
A) Animal shelter unfinished, next to leisure area (6) ****E*
B) Knocking back more than one drink, walk unsteadily in Perth (4)
*T**
C) Vegetable cooking, I take over (5) O*I**. Is it onion? If so, why? Surely not one (I) o'clock taking over from noon!
D) Such cover-ups left the underworld without power (10)
L*M***A***. Is it lampshades?. Hades is the underworld but I don't understand the "lamps" part of the answer.
As per usual, with an explanation as to how you arrived at the answer please.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

30th April 2016, 16:05
B. Stot, walk unsteadily (Scottish word). It's Tots, drinks, reversed.
D. L = Left, Amps = Power +Hades.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

brackendale

30th April 2016, 16:11
A is TENREC - shelter unfinished is TEN(t) with REC(reation ground)
B is STOT - tots backwards / Scottish slang
C is ONION - cooking is ON, I , over is ON
D is LAMPSHADES Left is L, power is AMPS, underworld is HADES
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

trelos1

30th April 2016, 16:18
Thanks Malone and Brackendale. I might be back with more later on!
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

seamus, ayrshire

30th April 2016, 17:16
This is not the first time that Saga have been confused about Electricity! Power is WATTS and current is AMPS! As long as they don't print an article on how to change a plug I suppose it's harmless enough.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

trelos1

30th April 2016, 18:31
Ha ha Seamus. Saga are not the only ones to get confused about electricity. All our downstairs lights fused the other night and my partner replaced the 5amp fuse wire with a piece of 15amp fuse wire..........UNTIL I stopped him! Was thinking about changing my code name to "crispy bacon". No need now, the girl fixed it. Who needs men, eh?
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

brackendale

30th April 2016, 19:39
I do hope you are not a Professor of Physics, Seamus, but I don't necessarily agree with you that a Watt is power.

When I was at school I well remember our Physics teacher saying that amps are quantity and volts are pressure - in other words, neither is "Power".

A thousand amps is a lot of power but so is a thousand volts - stick a wet finger in either and you would know about "power".

I don't accept that the clue was confused
7 of 7  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » SAGA MAY