CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

silverwax

24th April 2010, 09:53
Any help on these two would be appreciated!

Fine in head, figure not entirely right for mind (4,5)

( _ _ O _ / A _ T _ R )

So is redhead a bit thick? (6)

( _ N _ A _ R )

Surely not 'Unfair'?
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

took problem chimp to ideal home show

24th April 2010, 10:09
Ok in loaf te(n) r

Look after - mind
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

ajt

24th April 2010, 10:09
The first is a phrase for "mind" in the sense of "care for"
Why not unfair? A redhead's isn't fair, and if you think a situation is unfair, you might say "That's a bit thick"
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

silverwax

24th April 2010, 10:25
Thanks to you both.

AJT: Yes I see now. "That's a bit thick" is a phrase that I've come across before on v. rare occasions. "That's a bit rich" is the more regular one for describing unfairness.
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

jack

24th April 2010, 11:02
Hi

Thought this was fairly easy for a 'Paul' - but have one query. I've got GATEPOST for 8d; if this is correct I can't quite get the wordplay:-
"one with an opener starts to play ambitious shots to get out"
Starts could indicate 1st letters of 'to play etc'; 'out' could be an anagram indicator .. any help appreciated!! Thanks.
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

jack

24th April 2010, 11:08
AH! Think I've got it:

"Starts to" refers to 'P A S' then anagram of 'to get'!

I was being a bit 'unfair' there!!
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

simong

24th April 2010, 14:13
I have one query re. 27ac "Cornish author Christopher, short of wood, finding branch in the wind? (7)". I've come up with SWISHER based on SW for Cornish and ISHER from Isherwood less wood but am far from convinced that this is a valid word although it seems a fair description of a branch in the wind. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks a lot!
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

ajt

24th April 2010, 14:19
I should ask Chambers for a commission for the number of times I quote them - for "swish" they say"a prlonged and rushing sibilant sound, such as is produced by branches being swept to and fro by the wind" OK?
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

simong

24th April 2010, 14:42
Thanks AJT, I'll definitely be looking to pick up a Chambers when I'm back in the UK. Their online dictionary doesn't list swisher but I would have gone with it anyway...
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

carrots

24th April 2010, 16:23
What on earth am I to do for the rest of the day?
Although this was a "two Pinta" puzzle in the pub at lunchtime, it was remarkably easy for a "Young Paul". I associate him more with Byzantian, attritional puzzles of hard-won complexity....and little light relief on the way. Maybe he`s mellowing!
10 of 20  -   Report This Post