CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sophie

15th April 2010, 02:36
hey guys i need help with my last one to solve! i know very little about any sport and the clue is "The oldest football club on the planet! (nickname)"
it has 6 letters and the 4th letter is 'O'

any ideas would be great, thank you!
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

15th April 2010, 06:59
FIFA lists the world's oldest football club to be Sheffield Football Club, who play in the Unibond League Division 1 South, whose nickname is simply 'Club'. The oldest professional football league club is Notts County whose nickname is The Magpies. I appreciate that neither of the nicknames is apposite but I don't know where you are in the world and, for that reason and to clarify matters, I am talking solely about association football.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

royston

15th April 2010, 08:46
Sheffield are the oldest club and their nickname is the blades
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

15th April 2010, 08:48
No, Royston, Google Sheffield Football Club not Sheffield United [Blades] or Sheffield Wednesday [Owls].
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

palman

15th April 2010, 10:36
Caravaggio is 100% correct on this one.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

big dave

16th April 2010, 02:12
Apparently it is the DEMONS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Football_Club">Melbourne Football Club! Australian rules, of course.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

16th April 2010, 07:14
Well done, Big Dave. As you'll have probably noticed, I was mindful of the fact that we weren't necessarily talking about association football. By the way, did you know that Juventus copied Notts County's strip? There's quite a story involved there! Regards, Caravaggio.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post