CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

philip

13th April 2010, 23:55
Hi everyone. Either I m getting thicker or it was harder this week. Has taken me over three hours, and I put it down to poor clue construction. What do others think?
The one I liked is "Burn during grilling" (4). No answers please, but it is one for John from Arran
PHILIP
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

tom

13th April 2010, 23:57
or anyone north of the border
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th April 2010, 07:22
Good morning Philip,

I'm glad that you've posted your comment first as, although I've done most of it, I haven't finished it and I agree with you - it's proving more difficult than in recent weeks.

Regards,

Caravaggio
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

torvic

14th April 2010, 15:30
It took me 35 minutes, with the help of my favourite dictionary site - onelook.com, but I agree the clues are not the best.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th April 2010, 16:04
That was good going, Torvic, and I'm impressed!
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

philip

14th April 2010, 18:23
torvic
Well done. I had most of it completed within about 30 mins, but the last 3 or 4 were difficult. I had trouble getting the meaning of the second part of the clue for 6a. 8a stumped me for ages till I saw the obvious. 13 d was almost impossible and 4d was only obvious after I asked my 6 year old grandaughter.
Having said that, last week we complained it was too easy, so on reflection, despite the rubbish clues it was a good test
PHILIP
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

torvic

14th April 2010, 18:39
Thanks Philip and Caravaggio, Have you tried onelook.com? It's brilliant for crosswords, you enter the letters you have and question marks for the blanks, and you get a list of all the possible words. If there are too many words you can filter for words related to a concept. For 13d, if you enter r?p?n?r?e? only one word comes up, the correct one.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

philip

14th April 2010, 19:49
Torvic
I have about 4 or 5 sites that I use, but I have now added onelook. Many Thanks

PHILIP

PS Where is JfA Last week Aberdeen - this week the WORLD!
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th April 2010, 20:07
Thank you, Torvic, but I already have that site bookmarked. Have you tried the Universal Anagram Solver which is particularly good for unscrambling some of the Radio Times anagrams?
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

torvic

14th April 2010, 21:19
Thank you Caravaggio, I've bookmarked that site now.
10 of 13  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 16