CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

6th February 2016, 21:20
I'm not seeing the relationship between the Group B grid entries and their clue answers. One looks to be a direct synonym, but the other four not. I suspect, according to verse xl, that there is some connection to the letter 'I' being removed, or not repeated... a hint would be welcome.
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

6th February 2016, 22:38
Don't worry, I've seen it at last...
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

dryden

7th February 2016, 10:22
I cannot see that the referenced line from the source leads to the entries at all. Rather a disappointing and contrived ending to an otherwise engaging puzzle. A fine literary source has just been used as a peg on which to hang another idea. I can't see any thematic coherence.
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

rickye

7th February 2016, 10:56
Still early days as quite a lot of solving to do but I did chase a reference to v XL which did not help me at all but it may be the wrong poem but I have never worked in a hospital.
Does the 13 letter go across the bottom, down the middle or down the right? Feel I need to get some filling done to ease solving and to see if some guesses are correct.
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th February 2016, 12:45
Rickye, as you say, there are only a limited number of likely places for the 13 connected cells. If it were the the right hand file, there would be no need to 'fold' - it could just be cut off. If it were the bottom row, then a fold might conflict with the area below the grid. So, the centre file may as well have been lit by neon. If you've solved the 2 penultimate Group A clues, you can probably get them in straightaway (though be prepared for an inconsistency); the rest follows quite easily.

Dryden, I agree. I was expecting something more (eg. using lines 7 & 8 of the stanza) - though if I'd read the preamble properly I would have known not to look further than line 5. In abstraction from the puzzle, a nice verse and a lot more from the same source is well worth reading.
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

demeter

7th February 2016, 13:43
Meursault,

I'm in the same position as you were when you first posted.

Could you give me a hint for the connection between the Group B answers and grid entries?
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

cruncher

7th February 2016, 14:05
Demeter - the Group B answers have a connection with the grid entries that is suggested by the two unclued answers that come from the quotation
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

demeter

7th February 2016, 14:22
Thanks Cruncher, I have those 2 words, but I still dont' see it. Like Meursault, I just see 1 synonym, and the others unrelated.
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th February 2016, 14:40
Demeter, I'll assume that you've completed the puzzle apart from a couple of unchecked cells in the Group B entries. That was the position I was in. I distracted myself, as I said earlier, by reading too far in the verse. The synonym is coincidental. The Group B answers and entries together are consistent with 5 other thematic items for which you have already entered some missing letters. I hope this helps.
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

demeter

7th February 2016, 15:01
Yes, I see it now.

Thanks Meursault.
10 of 40  -   Report This Post