CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mrs trellis

2nd February 2016, 10:55
For many years the Guardian Genius has been the highlight of my & my mother's month. However for the last 9 months or so we have found all the fun has gone from the Genius; the 'special instructions' are so obscurely described that there often seems to be no way into them. Has anyone else found this or are we just losing our crosswording super-powers?
Other people's opinions gladly received
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

rossim

2nd February 2016, 11:00
I don't do that particular crossword Mrs Trellis but good to see you back.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd February 2016, 11:05
Not one of mine either, mrs trellis, but nice to see you back - that's you and pipesmoker making welcome returns in the last couple of days!
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

2nd February 2016, 11:05
Thank you rossim,
It's been a tough few years but crosswords and lovely forumites are a useful distraction.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd February 2016, 11:07
Lovely to see you after such a long absence Mrs Trellis.
Wishing you well
jg
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

2nd February 2016, 11:07
Thank you too ChrisE, I hope to be able to stick around and contribute to the forum
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

2nd February 2016, 11:09
Thank you jazzgirl, hopefully see you on the RT thread if memory serves!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

ffannie

3rd February 2016, 08:27
I suspect that the way the Genius crosswords have developed is partly a response to the electronic aids to crossword solving and the special instructions are an offline way to make life harder, and partly to reflect that there is a whole month in which to finish the puzzle so 'why shouldn't the puzzles be made more difficult?'.

Yes, they are difficult and often seem impossible after a first read through. One thing I dislike is when compilers ask us to butcher a solution but the result is not a real word.

I know I take all (three) of the crosswords I do regularly at a slower pace, often just looking at them over breakfast.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

3rd February 2016, 08:43
Hi ffannie, it's not that they're difficult - I'm all up for a challenge and have always enjoyed the special aspects of the Guardian Genius.
It's more that they have become impenetrable, I can't get a start on the 'normal clues' until I've sorted the theme, and can't grasp the theme because, as you say, the answers are often not real words. I just find they are too convoluted to be fun any more.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

dizoz

3rd February 2016, 11:16
I'm with you , Mrs Trellis.
Been doing Genius for years, but several recent months' versions have gone beyond my comprehension of "cryptic" , introducing too many "special" themes affecting unidentified clues.
I try, and only achieve results by reading enlightening Forum inputs from fellow devotees.
Best of luck
dizoz
10 of 10  -   Report This Post