CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

30th January 2016, 22:21
A couple of warnings freely volunteered. For the thematic clues, the numbers in brackets are not the entry lengths of the eventual entries, rather they are the lengths of the preliminary answers (which are not used).

The preliminary answer for 9 is not the more usual one (which is 'Natural').
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

rickye

31st January 2016, 08:57
Started brilliantly in the south west corner but now frustratingly slow. Have got myself onto us states which is probably incorrect - two fit nicely in the middle though Montana could be montage. Hope a few pointers will emerge here. 1D looks so like volunteer but makes no sense in parsing (an N too many) or in fitting as I have S at T. Perhaps some thematic words share the same length.
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st January 2016, 09:11
rickye - Montana is correct but the clue does not lead to this word. 1dn is VOLUNTEER but you have to change the word to a thematic item (which you seem to have guessed!) for entry.
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

notrab

31st January 2016, 09:20
Almost there but would welcome any pointer to the first letter of 29 and the instruction location.
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

meursault

31st January 2016, 09:24
Notrab, 29 begins with W, and the instruction is diagonal hanging off the west edge.
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

rickye

31st January 2016, 09:24
Wow! Thanks. I feel encouraged.
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

rickye

31st January 2016, 09:36
Now have four thematic words but not sure what links them. From the title I wonder if they all play the same sport or perhaps a flag is the link! Exciting stuff.
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

notrab

31st January 2016, 09:38
Thanks Mersault. I still cannot connect wide with the clue. Rather disappointed with the instruction which I had imagined would be a nickname.
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

meursault

31st January 2016, 09:44
If you use T for a correction in 'Our', you get some kind of definition. The instruction is a nickname. Coincidentally it runs through the first letter we were discussing...
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

notrab

31st January 2016, 10:01
Thank you again. I am being particularly thick today and had interpreted the instruction as "do the first four letter word and apply it the next two letters" that gave me(!) Maine! I get 29 and out but not how the rest of the clue works. Thanks for your patience.
10 of 26  -   Report This Post