CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

catfish

29th January 2016, 10:29
Down 13 This plain one would be a subtle trace (5)

Answer printed the following week as OVERT

???
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

malone

29th January 2016, 10:33
All I can think of is that Overt = This plain, but it you added One, it would be Overtone, a subtle trace?
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

catfish

29th January 2016, 10:37
I wondered [actually I wrote a letter to the editor] if the answer might have actually been OLENT [ very obscure to me - but I consulted a dictionary] ??

My letter [sigh]

Dear Editor

I would be most grateful if you could pass this on to ALDHELM, the gentleman, lady or non-binary individual who compiles the FT magazine crossword.

Puzzle No. 267

13d This plain one would be a subtle trace (5),

The solution printed the following week was given as OVERT

I have been torturing myself trying to work out the link between the clue and the answer and for the life of me can't work it out.

I have found an alternative answer, painfully obscure as it may be, OLENT, which I had to look up in the dictionary [cheating by my standards]

Please elucidate me.

As errors go it's not as bad as your spelling of HOUSE as HOUCE, the appalling error last year, for which there was an insultingly cursory apology, but it does show a frightening lack of attention to detail.

I would be grateful too, if in your occasional forays into the realm of semi-precious stones and minerals, you would make more effort when you check your references, because I have it on good authority from a Professor of Geology that you probably have difficulty discerning your asinum from your cubitus.

Yours in fervent anticipation

Catfish
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th January 2016, 10:45
Malones answer looks good to me, replacing 'This plain' in the clue gives;
overt-one would be a subtle trace.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

malone

29th January 2016, 10:50
Thanks, Trevor - I think my reasoning is/was quite sound.

Catfish, sorry if my answer wasn't enough to convince you that it was an OK clue.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post