CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

janome

9th April 2010, 10:03
all answers contain somthing to do with the clour red

44 describes an old university 8
any help please
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

the joker

9th April 2010, 10:19
REDBRICK? But doesn't really fit the clue,methinks.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

janome

9th April 2010, 10:28
hi thanks for the suggetion , it can be a shade of red as well ,or something/item that is red .its my last question in the quiz and has completely stumped me
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

ajt

9th April 2010, 10:38
Chambers gives redbrick as - an English university founded in the 19c or early 20c. Don't you think that qualifies as "old?"
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

colin (swansea jack)

9th April 2010, 10:46
Initially, I thought that 'redbrick' applied to new universities but if you read the following definition I found on the web, perhaps what were 'new' have now become 'old' - if you see what I mean.

Red Brick (or "redbrick") is an informal term used to refer to six particular British universities founded in the major industrial cities of England, all of which achieved university status before World War I and were initially established as civic science and/or engineering colleges. Whilst the term was originally coined as these institutions were new and thus regarded by the ancient universities as arriviste, the description has since ceased to be derogatory with the proliferation of 1960s universities and the reclassification of various polytechnics in 1992. Officially, the six institutions are members of the Russell Group (which receives two-thirds of all research grant funding in the United Kingdom).
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

the joker

9th April 2010, 10:47
Hi Janome
Had another look at this and it seems to me that REDBRICK could be an answer here.
I hadn't realised that this term covers the next "wave" of universities formed after the half dozen "ancient"ones.
See - List of universities by date of foundation in Wiki.
One of these redbrick Unis.is READING which,by using a shoehorn,could maybe fit.
Think I prefer REDBRICK though.
TJ
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

the joker

9th April 2010, 10:53
Hi AJT
On reconsideration I agree with you that 19th/20th century is certainly old.
TJ
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

janome

9th April 2010, 11:21
thank you all for your help and time spent looking the answer up .im realy grateful to you .its people like you who make this site what it is

thanks again
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

the joker

9th April 2010, 17:52
Thank you Janome for your kind words.
TJ
9 of 9  -   Report This Post