CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

6th April 2010, 20:11
Thanks for that - wish somebody had got me Chambers for Xmas!

Thought of Pons but adj listed (online) as pontine or pontile - still leaves resolution problem - should resolve to E but leaves me with another word I can't find(but which may be in Chambers- postie changing direction?)

Also thought of Tristram but not slurred colour

Thanks
Ixion
26 of 34  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th April 2010, 20:25
Thanks AJT - complete - assuming my postie can change direction!
27 of 34  -   Report This Post

donf932

6th April 2010, 20:37
Found this for the first time. As my printer isn't working impossible to see clue numbers. Brain ache! AJT is a real gentleman (or lady) !
28 of 34  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th April 2010, 21:04
As you haven't got Chambers, Ixion, I'll have to tellyou, the word is PONTIC, but of course you must change the last letter.

And Don, as you will note when you get my SAE for your crossword - I'm female.
29 of 34  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th April 2010, 21:09
Thanks again AJT did find reference to that Pontic when I googled - Pontie still seems obscure though - abbrev for Pontefract?
30 of 34  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th April 2010, 21:20
Chambers says that a pontie, or punty, puntee or ponty iis an iron rod used in the manufacture of glassware.
31 of 34  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th April 2010, 21:24
....and I should have said that Chambers gives adjectives for pons as pontal, pontic, pontile and pontine.

You'd better write your note to Santa early this year.
32 of 34  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th April 2010, 21:26
Thanks yet again - my old Collins is falling to bits - time to upgrade to Chambers
33 of 34  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th April 2010, 21:44
I think a Chambers is essential for cryptic crosswords - I understand that most setters use them. But you need an older Collins for proper nouns - I read somewhere that the lastest edition doesn't give them.
34 of 34  -   Report This Post