CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

darryl

31st January 2009, 22:36
I'm sorry, but the standard of today's DT crossword is appalling.

14d & 24a are good examples of words that might exist in theory but are clealry contrived to make the crossword grid work.

I hope next Saturday's is better.
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

31st January 2009, 22:48
I couldn't agree more, Darryl. That is the worst Saturday crossword I've come across in the Telegraph and, believe me, I have been doing it for some years... Best wishes, Caravaggio.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

claire

1st February 2009, 00:13
Hello Darryl. Long time no see! Last time I saw a post from you it was your birthday, I think.

I agree with your sentiments and those of Carravagio re the standard of the crossword. We probably won't get the pen now, as someone at the DT will be feeling miffed. Shame.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

rosecart

1st February 2009, 00:25
Solution: buy the Times!
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

1st February 2009, 00:34
24a is actually a word in my very ancient edition of Chambers Anagrams. I do agree about 16d and I thought 23d & 25d was pretty dire too.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

chris

1st February 2009, 10:15
DT 25,840 23d & 25d
Morning All,
I feel safe to tune in again now that everyone seems to have stopped squabbling!! (Ho Ho!)

Regarding the above clues, I thought it was just my being obtuse causing the probs. I might not have helped myself by dashing down STINGO for 27a (a little deeper thought needed here as well?) Any comments would be appreciated.
THANKS, Chris.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

1st February 2009, 12:03
"Long to include set of answers that is inflammatory"

PINE (long) around KEY (dubious answer for set of answers) split into 4 & 3 gives PINK EYE an inflammation.

HTH
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

1st February 2009, 12:07
Sorry, you asked about 27a as well.

"Complicated deception without hesitation".

Start with TRICKERY (deception), remove ER (hesitation) and you're left with TRICKY.

HTH.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

big dave

1st February 2009, 12:08
I remember from school days, albeit a long time ago, that the teacher had what was called a key, containing all the answers to the questions in a text book.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

chris

1st February 2009, 12:54
DT 25,840

Thanks, Chaps!
I can't complain about the standard of clues as I am still too inconsistent in being able to see some of the more obvious ones for myself - but I'm getting there!
Knowing "where the compiler is coming from" and getting on their wavelength seems to be a big factor. Here's to next Saturday's DT.

Thanks again, Chris.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post