CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

3rd November 2015, 11:24
Return to normal standards, though there is a link word in 19d that seems wrong - I'll ask about it later.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd November 2015, 11:27
Oh, and in 4d as well (I may not have this one right, though I think I probably have it).
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

3rd November 2015, 13:55
Hi Chrise, here's a novelty for me, looking at it on the the day the RT arrives. Re 19D, if the group of swimmers is of the piscine variety, then the clue works perfectly to describe the sandbank. As for 4D, that escapes me for the moment.
Ah well back to #44.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd November 2015, 13:57
Hi dandybandy
It was the "reach" I was questioning in 19d. Similarly the link word in 4d doesn't seem right.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd November 2015, 13:58
Finished a bit quicker than the last two weeks.
The link word (reach) at first I thought was one of a triple definition, but the answer I have matches only with the swimmers and the sandbank.
Reach is a stream between bends according to Chambers and not the same as my answer which can mean shallow water.
If that confuses anyone I am not surprised.
Re the small child/tick, I am not happy that the setter thinks a tick is the same as my answer, as ticks are parasitic and ****s are not. The setter may have meant tick in a short amount of time.
Back to my coffee

5 of 18  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

3rd November 2015, 13:58
And no I'm not looking at the thread yet. I'll strain my brain a little longer
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd November 2015, 14:05
PS

Does the expression "given" translate as "something that is assumed to be"
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd November 2015, 14:06
ticks and ****s are very closley related - same SubClass. However they are also different, as you say, jazzy., though close enough. It was the "given" in this one that I raised an eyebrow at.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd November 2015, 14:07
Well it does mean that, but as a noun, so the clue wouldn't have a sensible surface.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrisg

3rd November 2015, 14:10
Jazzgirl - They are from the same species and both can be parasitic
10 of 18  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 46