CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chopper erk

2nd October 2015, 17:02
Hi,
Two for which I have the answers but cannot see where the compiler is coming from!
11 Across (5-5) "Room for archers is a long way off" - I have "Outer Space", a long way off, but what has that to do with archers?
15 Across (7) "Unlimited as camp without parking?" - Obviously "Endless" - but why?
Is it me?
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd October 2015, 17:08
I didn't think either were good clues.

An "outer" is a region on an archery target, but there are other regions as well. so why pick this one?

There was much discussion and complaint about the other one last week. The best explanation (not mine!) was that if you take the P(arking) off CAMP. you get CAM - i.e. it's "endless". This would of course work for any word ending in P, and it seems a bit feeble.
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

andyc

2nd October 2015, 17:10
11a) the outer space is the area just outside the central target in archery

15a) I think has been on the forum before and is a bad clue.....it's just cam without the p (parking) is endless.
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

chopper erk

2nd October 2015, 17:16
Thanks to you all.
I am familiar with the term "outer" in relation to targets, so no problem with that one.
I suppose you can think of a cam as endless but certainly not the first thing to come to mind!
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

3rd October 2015, 08:33
Aargh! Thanks chopper erk et al. I thought I was late for filling in the RT puzzles, I don't think that I've done this one. I'd better go and check. On a slightly pedantic note. Is a cam endless? A cam belt is but a cam (shaft)...?
5 of 5  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 40