CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alwayspuzzled

20th September 2015, 15:38
I have a full grid, know which cells need to be left blank and what needs to be highlighted. I understand why one of the letters needs to inverted but why the other one should be is beyond me. Can anybody explain please?
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

20th September 2015, 15:47
it does not need to be inverted. but it does no harm to do so either. Perhaps the setter wanted to make it a little easier; if both letters must be inverted, that eliminates a lot of possible clashing letters ("E", for instance). As it happens my first two grid entries clashed, eliminating all the suspense anyway.
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

20th September 2015, 18:10
Thanks for that Kilgore Trout. To quote the rubric though "Both letters must be rotated through 180 degrees.." and that would mean one of the letters in the thematic name being upside down. To my simple way of thinking the rubric should have read "One of the letters must be rotated through 180 degrees." I am sure the weekly tilt at E.V. is driving me crazy ( or even crazier ).
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

scarlett

20th September 2015, 19:17
Stuck on:
41a Turn amused thousands (4) I have S?EN though I realise the N could be a "clasher" so possibly skew??
Not sure what to highlight either.
Thanks for any help
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

20th September 2015, 19:27
Scarlett, it is slew. ( Double meaning ) What needs highlighting is reversed in the diagonal from top right to bottom left. When you get that you will see my slight dilemma.
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

scarlett

20th September 2015, 20:03
Thank you alwayspuzzled, I can see it all now with explanations for it. Nice puzzle.
6 of 6  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1193