CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

24th March 2010, 10:47
malev(i)olent
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

ixion

24th March 2010, 10:49
c(an)ard
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

24th March 2010, 11:10
Mazie scrieved:

Last one looks like soft tissue but I'm not sure of the word play

S (several initially) + OF + TT (dry) + ISSUE (material)

Hope that helps.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

mazie

24th March 2010, 11:26
Thank you John. I little too advanced for me. I haven't been doing cryptics that long and this is a bit over my head. I dont understand the TT for dry or Issue for Material, I was more along the lines of Tissue for matter. I am really grateful though and hopefully, with help will improve slowly xx
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrisg

24th March 2010, 11:33
Mazie..TT = Tee Total (dry - complete abstinence from alchohol)
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrisg

24th March 2010, 11:36
...and it would help if I could spell alcohol correctly !
10 of 13  -   Report This Post

mazie

24th March 2010, 11:39
Thanks chrisg. Thinking about it I have come across that before, but not too often. I do the crusader and the daily mail most days. I look at the Times though and break out in a cold sweat!!
11 of 13  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

24th March 2010, 11:58
I must say that the use of "material" as a clue for ISSUE, is a bit tenuous. ISSUE is frequently clued as "offspring", "volume" or similar.

Don't be scared by the Times crosswords, get yourself one of the many books which have all the answers and work through the puzzles. You'll soon pick it up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=times+crossword+book&x=0&y=0 target="_blank">Times Crossword Books from Amazon
12 of 13  -   Report This Post

mazie

24th March 2010, 12:05
Thanks John. I will order that today and give it a go. The thing with the Times, and here's where I'm going to show my ignorance. I always thought the definition was at the begining or the end of the clue and often in the Times, it appears to be somewhere in the middle. I'll give it a go though and let you know how I get on. Thanks again to you both for your help and encouragement xx
13 of 13  -   Report This Post