CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

duckb

27th August 2015, 19:33
Bringing up the rear, as usual! Having pored over this week's Cryptic, I had to admit (53a and 48d) to a lack of knowledge of foreign beasties. Now, I am for some reason stuck just on 3d "Encouraging word, I hesitate to say, is something corrosive". Help, please!

On another tack completely, resorting to Google, I seem to have come up with NANILLIONTH for the "tiny portion" in 2d (based on the prefix "nano" - Greek, I think - meaning tiny. Looks like I'm the only solver who has! Bet all the others are right, though!
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

mamya

27th August 2015, 19:35
3 Olé Um- Oleum
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

27th August 2015, 19:35
Nonillionth
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

theambler

27th August 2015, 19:38
Hi duckb Nice to meet you
I think its NONILLIONTH ( from the (non-Greek)) parsing.
Kind regards
Had a nice day??
THEA(O)
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

duckb

28th August 2015, 10:47
Yes ... thanks to theambler and scorpiojo - I do accept it's nonillionth ... but just thought I'd share that nanillionth is also "out there". And thanks too to mamya: I get the "Ole" bit ... but can't get beyond there. (Only did Latin, German and French at school - far longer ago than I care to think!

Anyway ... it's time for a whole new challenge tomorrow. Have a good weekend, all!
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

28th August 2015, 10:54
hi duckb
UM is the hesitation
Oleum is the corrosion
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

mamya

28th August 2015, 11:03
Sorry if I didn't explain all of the clue.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

duckb

28th August 2015, 11:13
Thanks, mamya. No apology required: I'd forgotten (can you believe it?!) that I added 3d into my initial request on Jumbo 1164. Hence I thought your response was just an exotic greeting!!

Important question to all: am I alone in having a whole lot of stuff from various people sent in today which are just a series of boxes & hieroglyphics?
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

28th August 2015, 11:23
The spam posts are coming in from Korea and are affecting a lot of other forums, as well as this one.
Efforts are being made to eliminate them but it is proving exceedingly difficult
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

duckb

28th August 2015, 11:57
Thanks, jazzgirl. As usual you seem to know everything about everything. At least I'm assured that my (now rather primitive) PC hasn't gone up the shoot!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post