CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

20th August 2015, 16:10
Trying to change my nom de croix as I'm ashamed of having unwittingly hijacked that of an established cryptic setter - but had to use my wife's e-mail address as you can't register twice - and can't, apparently, resign - rather Hotel California.
So one last outing (inning?) as Quixote.

Well - been doing the TJC to my usual rules every week since I last posted a brag here. I did find a couple sealed and stamped in the car that I'd forgotten to post - so not such a defence against Altzheimer's as it's cracked up to be, then.
Still in hope of winning the Atlas. Just posted 1163; top right - oh deer - got a bit led astray by the Midlothian Question, but my heart was in the wrong place, singular as officially spelt; my reckoning was wrong, and I had to restructure the whole corner.
Bottom left was raffishly challenging too - should have unpicked the lock much quicker - i used to work for the architect for Westminster Abbey, a Gothic fan whose nickname was 'Flying'.....
best to all the regulars - hope to return as Hotie.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th August 2015, 16:12
Hotie ?
Not Hottie then !
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th August 2015, 16:14
No jazzy - he'll be DONKEY HOTIE!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th August 2015, 16:19
I was just joking ChrisE :)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

quixote

20th August 2015, 16:30

Spot-on, chrise!

The First Novel in the European Tradition was originally entitled by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra "The Travels and Adventures of Sancho Panza and his Donkey, Hotie" (In Castilian, of course). The wily Hotie was arguably the real hero of the tale, in the manner of Brer Rabbit. Unfortunately the translators of it into English got the wrong end of the stick and confused their translation of the second part of the title hopelessly with the identity of the nameless old fool who insisted on following Sancho around and 'helping' him - rather like the desk cop in Montalbano (Sancho's recurring catchphrase (in Castilian, of course): "Another fine mess you've got us into!". Successive editors and translators kept digging the hole, and the rest is history.
Very, very few people know that.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

rusty

20th August 2015, 16:38
Good to hear from you, Don Qui!
You are a breath of fresh air on this forum.
Haste ye back!
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th August 2015, 17:02
I always thought that the donkey was underrated, quixote - nice to have that confirmed!
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th August 2015, 17:10
Catarella! (I've been trying to remember the desk cop's name.)
8 of 8  -   Report This Post