CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

5th August 2015, 10:30
I have two words in mind to set for PR tomorrow. One will be difficult to clue and has really only one definition. The other is as simpler-to-clue word with far more possibilities.
Both are related to the clip.
Any preferences?
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th August 2015, 11:03
Your call, rosalind, though it sounds like the second option would allow for a greater range of clues.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

rossim

5th August 2015, 11:03
Personally, I prefer simpler words with several definitions.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

mattrom

5th August 2015, 11:17
I like words with more possibilities. I'd be curious to know what the other word was, though :-)
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

5th August 2015, 11:19
Hi Rosalind,
This can be a dilemma. To me the contests are an opportunity to sharpen one's skills. Imagine if you were compiling a grid and the word in question was the only one which would fit in, then you would feel obliged to provide the solver with a decent challenge to solve it. So really any old word would do wouldn't it .
On the other hand words with more possibilities would probably make for a more varied and interesting contest.
On the whole I think Clueless is more suited to the "challenging" words while Peer Review may be more suited to the "entertaining" ones.

PS For my Clueless this week I gave two words with loads of defs for each but really only one for the two together. I like to see the the ingenuity of our setters...
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

rosalind

5th August 2015, 11:39
Thank you for the replies so far. Whichever I go for, I will tell you the other. I am always mindful of bullfrogs's declaration that he wouldn't clue words with only one definition!
I like your current Clueless word, Marty. There was supposed to be one recently- I remembered to look and it didn't seem any different to me! I understand it means the very few times there are 13 full moons in one year. Bit like Preston Guilds.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

heathcliff67

5th August 2015, 11:57
I am sure whichever you choose will be fun to try and clue, Rosalind. I often think that words with a lot of possibilities are more challenging in the sense that you have to decide which of the numerous possibilities to select.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

rossim

5th August 2015, 14:21
I like double definitions too.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

les40

5th August 2015, 15:47
The harder one may elicit some interesting 'cryptic defs' which I find more fun
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

paul

6th August 2015, 12:34
Either is fine - as long as you post it!
10 of 11  -   Report This Post