CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phil535

4th August 2015, 20:33
I am really struggling with this one and am amazed not to find a thread for it on here. I think I have PERSEPHONE for 46 across as one of the thematic answers but no others. Any hints/help will be gratefully received
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th August 2015, 20:42
Hi phil535, I'm not really sure what you're looking for so; Persephone is correct and the other thematics are 2d, 13a, 24a, 30d and 38d the last being the 6th referred to in the preamble. Hope this helps but if you want something more specific post again.
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

5th August 2015, 14:03
Like phil535 I am struggling to the extent that - although I think ( am fairly sure ) I know what adjustments need to be made in the grid I cannot get 20 across, 29 across - which really has me puzzled although I need only the unchecked letter and there are not many possibilities - and 3 down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

5th August 2015, 14:09
Have now got 3 down and 20 across but 29 across is still making me even greyer and balder. Not only can I not solve it there is a further problem in that if the D becomes F as I suspect it does then I cannot any word which will fit the resulting pattern.
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th August 2015, 14:30
Hi alwayspuzzled, 29a is grad, darg reversed. Remember the "new words" may be pronouns.
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

ginge

5th August 2015, 14:38
foreign got lost
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

5th August 2015, 14:43
Many thanks for that Ginge. For some ( lack of ) reason I had the last letter of 10 down as I not A.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

orson

6th August 2015, 15:38
Having solved only five clues by Wednesday I gave up on this one but then I saw this thread and thought I'd have another go.

But I think I'm still missing something. Are there extra letters supplied by the word play? I think 30d is DEMETER - met/joined up - er/royalty, but where's the old poet - de?

Nor do I get the wordplay for PERSEPHONE, apart from the phone/call bit.

And, sorry Ginge, but I don't understand what you mean by "foreign got lost" or what it refers to.

I must be having a bad week. Regards.
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th August 2015, 15:45
Hi Orson, foreign pronoun in the previous post which I omitted.
30. Temed (a form of teamed) reversed
46. Se(t) in per + phone.
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

orson

6th August 2015, 15:58
Thanks, ginge. So "per" means to charge for and "to" means put the word inside. Either I'm wrong again or if the clues are of that level of obscurity I life's too short. Roll on next week's.
10 of 17  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1186