CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

18th July 2015, 13:20
Has anyone got conflicting letters today in answers? My answer for 11d's third letter conflicts with my fifth letter for 15a which I am sure is right. Clue to 11d is: continent accepts stage performers finally retiring in an ability to verbalise ideas.(there may be an extra or missing letter in wordplay or a misprint in definition.
Any help very welcome please
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

18th July 2015, 13:46
I think the conflict is deliberate!

I've just started this and have noticed that my Down answers mean that a section/part of 15 A is replaced by a word meaning the opposite. I don't know if this will be happening elsewhere too.
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

jogamel

18th July 2015, 13:59
Thanks Malone. I will have another look. I cannot do 3d. Can you help me there?
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

18th July 2015, 14:05
I don't have 3 D yet - I really have just started.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

jogamel

18th July 2015, 14:17
Thank you.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

orson

19th July 2015, 15:15
I think the preamble would have been fairer if it had said that the quotation will explain how to modify entries. 3d is ATOMIC but part of that word needs changing into an equivalent (opposite).
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

19th July 2015, 19:46
I've almost finished, but am having problems with two clues. My main difficulty is with 5 A -:
Confection: they made it locally, originally in flat (8)
t?e?v?le

I am almost sure that this is a thematic answer. I have made all the other alterations, so I know what sort of change is required.

PS. Apologies to anyone without a copy of this crossword- it's thematic and there's a very long preamble!
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

orson

19th July 2015, 19:57
Malone, it is thematic. Flat can mean true. FF means they made it and locally originally. Four middle letters need to be changed to the "better half" version. (A bit obscure - I had to Google.)
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

19th July 2015, 20:09
Thanks, Orson, I've got it now. I've just to finish off 1 D (which has been amended) - I couldn't see the 'pub' reference/relevance.
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

kobnut

19th July 2015, 21:31
I had to ferret about a lot to find the answer to 1D.
10 of 13  -   Report This Post