CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gwladysstreet

13th July 2015, 10:18
Does anyone else object to Cryptic Jumbo 1157 4dn?
"Leader of devotions - one with mother in Newcastle (4)".
Answer IMAM.
Newcastle Tyne and Wear? Newcastle-under-Lyme? Any other Newcastle?
In the north west most of us call our mother "Mam". I imagine "Mam" is pretty well common in many places.
Perhaps ".....Newcastle, say" (4) may have helped, but it's still a duff clue.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

bernie

13th July 2015, 10:24
Mum's the word! ;-)
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th July 2015, 10:29
It's always been Mum where I come from in the south.
'Up north' may have been better.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th July 2015, 10:29
Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah,........
.....Camp is very entertaining
and they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining.....
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

bernie

13th July 2015, 10:31
It's persisting it down here (Northwest).
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th July 2015, 11:07
and I hope it persists for ages yet! No rain for the previous fortnight at least and garden dying.

I think "Newcastle, say" would be better. From what I remember of Liverpool, we said "ma" if she wasn't around and "mum" if she was. However, I left for the South a long time ago. One of my sons calls me "Mam", the other calls me "Ted". :-)
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

les40

13th July 2015, 11:30
Hi Gwladysstreet.

Just a thought but if the setter isn't from around the north of England, maybe they've just plucked the Def from the dictionary and that maybe mentions Newcastle.
I'm at work so can't check my Chambers (hard copy). However, I hear 'mam' often in the North west but the Etymology points towards both the North west and the North east. There is a book called 'A Dictionary of North East Dialect' by Bill Griffiths, 2005, Northumbria University Press, ISBN 1904794165
which may give you more info but the usage notes say
"Used in place of mum or ma in Northumbrian dialects such as Geordie, as well as throughout Ireland and Liverpool"
Hope that helps
7 of 7  -   Report This Post