CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ash

23rd June 2015, 13:56
Hi All

We've been receiving feedback regarding the advertising on the website for some time which we appreciate can be distracting at times.

However the advertising is crucial in ensuring that the website pays its way and covers the costs that we incur.

As an alternative to advertising one area we are interested in exploring is a subscription based service. For a small monthly fee you would be able to use the website with no or extremely limited advertising and have access to a version of the website specially optimised for mobiles.

Please let me know if this is even something you would consider at this stage? If so, what do you think a fair monthly price would be?

If you have any other comments please feel free to reply in this thread.
1 of 37  -   Report This Post

rusty

23rd June 2015, 14:23
Hello, Ash,
I would be happy to pay a monthly fee to help keep the site ticking along. I do not pay for any other sites I visit, so I do not know what a fair charge is?
There are many, many, people who only pay a fleeting visit at the weekend to get an answer and go away.
Would these folk be willing to pay? I am only pointing this out.
That apart, you may count me in.
2 of 37  -   Report This Post

jolan

23rd June 2015, 15:40
Hi Ash
I'm a pensioner and enjoy this site because it's one of the very few "free" pleasures available to us these days.
I'm also thinking of the fleeting or rare visitors. Would they be willing to pay a regular fee? At the moment, I'm note sure if I'd be willing to pay. I'd have to give it careful consideration when, and if, the situation arises. I look forward to hearing what the other 'regulars' think of the idea.

I've always realised that the adverts pay for the maintenance of the site and am happy for them to continue.
3 of 37  -   Report This Post

ginge

23rd June 2015, 15:57
Hi Ash,
I'm a regular visitor and fully appreciate the need for the site to generate income and as long as the adverts are not overly intrusive I would prefer the site to remain funded by such. I very much appreciate the banter, and hopefully my input is helpful to others, here but even if the subscription level was extremely nominal I for one would decline to subscribe. I believe such a step would simply "drive" some regular and most occasional users to alternative site(s).
4 of 37  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd June 2015, 17:54
Hi ash
The crossword site "fifteensquared" asked for voluntary contributions a couple of years back. It received enough to fund it for 2 or 3 years rather than the 1 it was hoping for.
5 of 37  -   Report This Post

ash

23rd June 2015, 21:27
Thank you for your feedback so far, this has been very helpful!

If anyone else has any comments please let me know!
6 of 37  -   Report This Post

albie

23rd June 2015, 21:30
Hear hear to Ginge.
7 of 37  -   Report This Post

rosalind

23rd June 2015, 21:45
I enjoy the site very much but I wouldn't want to subscribe to it and would prefer to keep the adverts (though the flashing ones are horrible).
I like chrise's idea, a one-off payment to keep it going for a while would be OK
8 of 37  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

23rd June 2015, 21:56
I found this site looking some help with a crossword clue.
It was pretty high up on the google search results and in no time at all the puzzle was complete, the folk were genuine, kind and helpful. I liked the feel of the place and bookmarked it, joining in to reply to posts the addictive clue contests. Having said that, if I originally had to pay I would have simply gone elsewhere.

For a subscription service I would expect better facilities here - ability to edit posts, post images, integrated access to resources etc.
Even then I probably wouldn't pay for it because everything is available somewhere else.
Sorry to be blunt but that is how it is.
9 of 37  -   Report This Post

les40

23rd June 2015, 22:32
Good evening Ash,

I feel all who have replied with feedback have valid points for their views around the paying and non-payment of a fee for the site.

Personally, I feel it would be quite acceptable to ask for a nominal fee if this guaranteed a 'advertisement free' zone and a more interactive format as Marty mentioned.

Would it be an acceptable idea to have a staggered involvement site, by this, I mean if someone just wants to pop on and grab an answer to a difficult clue they are struggling to solve, then make this entirely free and they would just post their clue and wait for/or revisit later for the answer(s).
However, if you wished to be a member with more freedom around the site, then you pay a registration fee for a predetermined time period and this would give you more access, this would include the ability to answer the clues of others requested - post your own clues for help, entry into the Clue writing contests and also the banter threads.
I'm sure that all the regulars would appreciate a free entry and I feel it wouldn't take too long before they would like to be more involved in the solving, clue writing and banter threads which would only come with a paid registration.
I also feel it could become much more safe and secure because of the level of security info that you (ash) will hold.

Let's have it right folks, we all enjoy a little touch of kudos when solving someone else's clues, so I feel the temptation of this will drag a few in.
It also makes it an exclusive site but still affordable,
I would be ok with a fee for a few pounds a year (suggestion £10 or £15 per year (approx £1 a month).
It costs more than that for a weekend paper and if I didn't have access to this site, I'd never see - The Harpers, Wall St Journal, The Spectator and many more that are kindly shared on this site.
I think we need to say to our selves, "How much would it cost for the amount of time and fun I'm getting here"
Then compare it to what you may already pay out.

SKY TV = £15 - £60
Premiere football match £30 - £80
Cinema = £6 - £9:50p
Book (Bestseller) = £10 - £30
Theme park rides - maybe shouldn't mention them???

The mobile app compatible upgrade sounds a good thing.

I feel it's a fair request from the admin.

10 of 37  -   Report This Post