CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

22nd June 2015, 13:24
DO NOT DIVULGE PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THE FORUM

I have received an email which I find rather worrying so I am pasting it below. I have taken the precaution of using ***** for the names mentioned in the email.

"I’m concerned about the amount of personal information that some contributors (particularly **** and ****) are, unwittingly, giving about themselves on the Forum. For example, they talk about where and when **** is having a coffee and bacon roll with a granddaughter. It would be easy to locate the café and probably similarly easy to identify **** when he is there. They could then be followed to find out where he lives and then burgle his home the next time he mentions a rendezvous. Similarly, we know quite a lot about ****and her habits. When walking her dog is her house empty

This may seem far-fetched but it is how criminals work"

I would reiterate the sentiments contained in the email, please, please be aware that criminals could be reading what you write so stop and think before you divulge too much - let's keep the Forum safe for everyone.

1 of 17  -   Report This Post

susan

22nd June 2015, 13:31
That's very sobering. Thanks Norah!
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd June 2015, 13:32
Good advice Norah. . It may sound far-fetched, but I speak from personal experience. By the way, I am at home now and not away !!! ;)
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

susan

22nd June 2015, 13:36
Yep, what Jazzgirl said! I'm at home, enjoying my lovely old well worn, well loved kitchen and think I'll stay home for the next six months at least!
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

elle

22nd June 2015, 13:36
Point taken , Norah!
I'm sure we'll all take this to heart and be more careful.
It's good that you look after us!
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd June 2015, 13:38
PS although in my case it was not on a forum.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd June 2015, 13:44
I try not to ask personal details about anyone. But I have offered info. about myself which, in hindsight, was not wise . I am really a 4ft.2in dwarf from another planet.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

elle

22nd June 2015, 13:56
Green, with spiky blue hair, JG? I saw you on the train the other day!
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd June 2015, 13:58
Uh Oh TMI !!
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

elle

22nd June 2015, 14:01
Don't worry, Jazzy - grow an inch and dye your hair!

Sorry, Norah, I assure you , we really ARE taking this seriously - but if we didn't laugh, we'd probably cry!
It's a sad, sad world out there!
10 of 17  -   Report This Post