CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

21st June 2015, 21:46
Those in the know suggested this was at the easy end of The Listener scale, so I thought I'd give it a go. I've managed to finish it (I think!), but the parsing for this still eludes me....

14d. As with McEwans beer from the south, not entirely promising (6) - LIKELY

If I've got this right, the wordplay should lead to 7 or possibly 8 (the 'not entirely' might indicate a contraction) letters. The extra letter (or one of them) is an 'I'. I think 'As' might be 'Like', but that's as far as I get. Help appreciated.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

21st June 2015, 22:04
Like is as

Yill is Scots for ale. Not entirely gives you yil.

From the south means reverse it and as you say I is the extra letter.

This gives you. Like + ly
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st June 2015, 22:08
Hi brendan, as ,= like, McEwan's to signify a Scottish word, here beer which is yill. From the south, not entirely yil(l) = liy
like + liy, likely with the "i' extra as you got.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st June 2015, 22:10
Got it, thanks.

PS. In 32a., if I've got it right, the answer is hidden and the definition is 'to sift', so I can't work out why the clue starts with the word 'Local's'.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st June 2015, 22:18
Hi again brendan. If I recall correctly you have a Chambers. You are correct, it's hidden and if you look at the entry it's denoted by (dialect) indicating a local word.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st June 2015, 22:22
Thanks Ginge. Re Chambers, unfortunately I have to rely on the online version and, believe it or not, it's not even in there.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

gem94

21st June 2015, 23:00
The online Chambers dictionary is based on the Chambers 21st Century Dictionary, and not the Chambers Dictionary (the Big Red Book, as it's referred to.)
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

phil535

22nd June 2015, 11:29
I have answers for 3 down and 13 across but I cannot parse them. Any help please?
Also I can see a name in the final grid starting from the first letter of 16 down but cannot find a sentence featuring the puzzle theme and that name. Again any hints please?
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

22nd June 2015, 11:45
Hi phil535,
3d Forty (look in Chambers "forty": French Academy) change " t" to "a".
13. Lip in as (old Roman copper coin).
You are looking to convert the "sentence" provided by the extra letters into the same for as the definition only answers by highlighting the "name" replacement.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

22nd June 2015, 11:47
Same form not for.
10 of 18  -   Report This Post