CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mh

9th March 2010, 00:35
Thanks to John(from Arran) for 10a reply. I'm not happy with 'duell',old spelling of duel (see other crossword site!)for 11a.. But I can't rationalise 'dwell'. Howell was in BBC Radiophonic Workshop in Dr Who days. Could 'dwell' refer to a musical holding of a note, eg by the horns?
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

baldi

9th March 2010, 01:17
musical holding - and manipulation - of a note is sometimes called a swell (organ swell,trumpet swell)
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

jdovengloves

9th March 2010, 12:19
Possibly a reference to Howell's State Trials

Scan down this page which shows DUELL as a spelling in the text

http://books.google.com/books?cd=1&q=howell's+trials+duell&btnG=Search+Books

3 of 7  -   Report This Post

mh

9th March 2010, 20:51
Excellent suggestion.
By the way, the possibility, mentioned in another site, that James Howell wrote about his breaking up a duel(l) in his Epistolae Ho-Elianae is correct.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

mh

10th March 2010, 07:01
Further support for your suggestion could be (a)that "some locking of horns" could equal "a part of the word duelling", ie duell, and (b) the Howell of Howell's State Trials seems to have performed the job of what today is done by a recorder, hence use of the word "recording" in the clue, rather than writing, registering,etc
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

jdovengloves

10th March 2010, 13:23
I'm convinced.

Even given the problems with some clues, the TLS is one of my favourite Crosswords. I especially like the Acrostics when they're published.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

kkeller

24th March 2010, 22:07
"Duell" is most likely correct, but for another reason. I think "Howell" must be a misprint for "Howard." Robert Howard published a poem titled "The Duell of the Staggs" (1668), which seems to answer all parts of the clue.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post