CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

catcharmer

24th May 2015, 18:44
I emailed the Observer's crossword editor to find out why the Everyman was so much harder, and she replied:

The Everyman has become slightly more difficult, but not impossibly so. What happened is that Allan Scott, who set the Everyman for many years, retired at the end of March and so we have a new setter (recommended by Allan). At first I found I could hardly get any answers, but as the weeks went on I got more and more and started to enjoy it.

I could solve Allan's crosswords in about half an hour, but now it takes longer and I'm finding I prefer the greater challenge.

I think it's really a question of persevering until you get the hang of it.

With best wishes,

Edie Reilly
Observer Crossword Editor

So there we are!
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th May 2015, 19:20
Thank you for taking the trouble to make enquiries.
Hang on in there and I'm sure all you Everyman solvers who are finding it a bit more difficult will soon get into the way the new setter's mind works. I notice other papers have also upped their game too.
2 of 3  -   Report This Post

mattie

24th May 2015, 22:03
Thank you Catcharmer. So the editor obviously doesn't attatch much importance to the fact the readers no longer enjoy the crossword . As i said two weeks ago it's time to change my Sunday paper.
3 of 3  -   Report This Post