CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

20th May 2015, 12:34
Just sealed it up for the post - generally I thought it was disappointingly easy compared with the last two, 1147, 1148, which I thought were satisfactorily challenging to the gearbox - but the Saboteur halted the completion of the thing for several hours - succumbing finally only to brute-force serial letter substitution - even then, part of the word-play didn't make any sense - I was thinking 'cork?' until the inevitable Eureka!-moment
These Jumbo Cs are characterised for me by the wordplay not generally being a guide to the solution, but often rather a separate puzzle to be worked out backwards from the only credible entry - as exemplified by this Green Saboteur.
Gimme that old hard shoe.....

No cheats, no lookups, as is my rule.
Regards to all regulars - x.
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

quixote

20th May 2015, 12:38
Oh - meant to say that the elusive bit of the wordplay was serendipitously given on the Antiques Roadshow a couple of nights ago - describing the symbolism in the design of a Victorian owl brooch, I think - but it didn't break the mental jam at the time.
2 of 3  -   Report This Post

rusty

20th May 2015, 12:41
Well done, Don Qui !
I was wondering where you were the last couple of weeks!
Fine day for a walk to the postbox!
3 of 3  -   Report This Post