CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dizoz

7th March 2010, 02:55
struggling to get a start. any help most appreciated
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

the joker

7th March 2010, 03:09
Dizoz.If you give out details of the clues and no.of letters then maybe someone herewill be able to help you.
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

dizoz

7th March 2010, 03:24
thanks Joker. the xword comes with a preamble which relocates subsidiary paqrts of clues to other clues. the solutions to the main clues start with one of four letters and the sub clue solutions start with the second letter of the primary solutions.
tough, eh ?
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

the joker

7th March 2010, 03:35
I would say impossible without the actual puzzle.
Unless our resident clairvoyant Trevor can go into another of his trances!
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th March 2010, 04:28
I wish I hadn't looked at this - not sure I even understand the instructions!

If 19D had the answer "stentor" does this mean that the 2nd part of another clue gives "tentor"?
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

dizoz

7th March 2010, 05:13
hi ixion, i've been on this for a few days. I looked at 12A - relating to a period - being sub clue "EON" which fits with 2D prime clue - gas - being "NEON" . which would mean that"N" starts 7 solutions and the key word "to drive" includes an "N" AND 12A prime is - cut short - begins with "N" etc
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th March 2010, 08:37
I've been getting nowhere with this one, too. Going back to "stentor" and "tentor" - I took it that what he is saying is that the clue doesn't allow for the first letter - not the answer. Do You agree?
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th March 2010, 08:43
And going on with that thought - if 2 d is neon - the clue is "one returns" - which doesn't include the "n"
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th March 2010, 11:58
we need a genius!
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

dizoz

7th March 2010, 12:08
hi AJT, my interpretation is - IF 2D prime solution is NEON (4) and 12A sub is EON then 12D sub solution is a word not beginning with N but if fronted with N would = the prime solution of another clue. I also think the "something to drive" solution contains a vowel. Does that help or make it worse (-: ? Note that 22A/22D and 24A/24D each start with the same letter.
10 of 28  -   Report This Post