CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

12th May 2015, 11:51
Good morning friends. Here are this week's clues. Hope they prove entertaining. Happy solving! J

I set clues just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT + 1) to allow others to have a go.

1. Cockney caught sight of the lady ... and the rest (6)

2. Crushes relative of a former union (5,2)

3. Do they impede entry to parts of watering holes? (6,4)

4. A sudden vigorous attack can leave unaccompanied characters reeling (4,2,4)

5. They revive fish with ‘sweetness and light’ initially and by keeping other fish out (8,5)
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

ginge

12th May 2015, 12:00
Good morning jolan, I trust you're well. I only have #s 4 & 5 do far and I'm pretty sure you've used a variant of #5 fairly recently, if not it echoes a recent crossword clue. As always your efforts are much appreciated.
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 13:16
Good afternoon jolan
On first reading, I have #2 and #4.
Must try harder.....
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 13:21
...and #5 :)
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

ginge

12th May 2015, 13:28
Got them all now jolan and I'm sporting a huge grin having got my last, #1, tremendous.
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th May 2015, 13:31
Hello Ginge and Jazzy. Nice to see today's clues are being solved. Yes, Ginge! You're probably right. Unfortunately I do not keep a record of my contributions and an occasional repeat (or idea) will be sure to emerge. Well spotted. I now seem to remember using a variation of the 'fishy' one. Wish my memory was as good. See you later.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th May 2015, 13:31
Good for you, Ginge! Well done.
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 13:33
I am also amused after solving #1 ( I hope)
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th May 2015, 14:04
I think I have a reasonable answer to #3 so hopefully all 5 are correct .....
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

12th May 2015, 17:00
Hi Jolan

I found some time to do battle with you today. Some very nice examples from a top setter today.

1. Cockney caught sight of the lady ... and the rest (6) SPIDER?. Spider is a rest in snooker. Sounds like spied er which is how a Cockney like me would say saw her!

2. Crushes relative of a former union (5,2) STEPS ON. Play on words- crushes= steps on and step son would be a relative of a former union

3. Do they impede entry to parts of watering holes? (6,4) Not 100% sure here. I went for WINDOW BARS. Could have been public or saloon bars but I though window bars would impede entry to a bar or watering hole?

4. A sudden vigorous attack can leave unaccompanied characters reeling (4,2,4) COUPE DE MAIN. Subtractive anagram of unaccompanied less CAN

5. They revive fish with ‘sweetness and light’ initially and by keeping other fish out (8,5) SMELLING SALTS. SAL inside smelts and ling
10 of 21  -   Report This Post