CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

21st April 2015, 13:50
Hello friends. I'm definitely "loosing it". Was dealing with some home matters and completely forgot today is Tuesday. I'd also forgotten to prepare my entry for today so have just put some together. Hope you'll have a wee bit of fun with them. J

I set clues just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT + 1) to allow others to have a go.

1. ‘Shun food that can be prepared quickly (5,5)

2. A first-class cracker produced using minute pits on the surface (6)

3. Lucky drawer? (5-4,6)

4. Range of knowledge shown through variety of proofs chosen (6,3)

5. Breaking out again? Try using sappers’ rudimentary trail (12)
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st April 2015, 14:16
Good afternoon jolan, your efforts are much appreciated. Only have #s 1 & 4 on first reading. Methinks a beer or two might stimulate the brain into action, perhaps outside since it's such a beautiful day, cheers.
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

jolan

21st April 2015, 14:45
Hi Ginge. Great to see you. Hope our colleagues haven't deserted us due to my poor timekeeping. Out to do a wee bit of gardening now.
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

21st April 2015, 14:55
hi jolan, missed you earlier.can see 3 and 4. see you later.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

21st April 2015, 15:18
Hi jolan
All I can see on first reading is #3
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

ab

21st April 2015, 17:00
Many thanks for these great clues, Jolan. It was a joy to return today from the wilds to see these. As always, ingenious and challenging.
Here is my stab at them.

1. ‘Shun food that can be prepared quickly (5,5)- SHORT ORDER? ( double definition, ‘Shun (with apostrophe, short for Attention!) is a “short order” and “food that can be prepared quickly” is also)

2. A first-class cracker produced using minute pits on the surface (6)- HOLMES? (Minute – m, in pits on the surface – holes gives Holmes – a first class cracker)

3. Lucky drawer? (5-4,6)- HORSE-SHOE MAGNET? (A horse shoe is considered lucky and a magnet is a drawer, so “horse-shoe magnet" is a lucky drawer)

4. Range of knowledge shown through variety of proofs chosen (6,3)- SPOKEN FOR? (Range of knowledge – Ken with a variety (anagram) of “proofs” is Spo Ken For – giving spoken for – chosen)

5. Breaking out again? Try using sappers’ rudimentary trail (12) RECRUDESCENT? (Sappers- Royal Engineers – RE, rudimentary – crude and trail- scent gives Re crude scent – breaking out again)
Thanks again.
AB
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

21st April 2015, 17:01
i have
1. short order
2. ?????? - totally stumped
3. horse-shoe magnet
4. spoken for
5. recrudescent.
thanks for these jolan.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

21st April 2015, 17:03
Ashamed to say I had just the one:
3. horse-shoe magnet
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

trevor

21st April 2015, 17:03
Ah! elementary. well done AB and Jolan. not seen Aristo for a while.
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

21st April 2015, 17:09
I missed the apostrophe on 'shun completely.
Aristo hasn't been spotted since 24th march ? I hope he is OK
10 of 13  -   Report This Post