CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jonny

24th January 2009, 14:24
Mike B > i like the idea, the only problem is, as i'm sure you're aware.. there's no way to make sure they DO actually read it and follow the advice!! maybe a re-format of the boxes we submit our queries in would be a better solution, if its possible? boxes for "publication" "clue" "letters in answer" maybe? or something similar...
the other problem would be in keeping your post to the top of the forums, if there is no way of "pinning" it there, or making it a "sticky" topic, as you can with some forum software, such as vbulletin.
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

claire

24th January 2009, 15:36
Royston appears to be indisposed. He hasn't emailed me for about 10 days. Am concerned. Sure he'll be back when he's good and ready! Royston - if you're reading this PLEASE get in touch!
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

24th January 2009, 17:13
Mike B,

I think that would be a good start. It would need to be bumped up the list every day so that it stays near the top. This forum doesn't look like any other I belong to and doesn't have a copyright notice at the bottom of the page carrying any of the known forum software vendors. Therefore it looks as though it's a special from the forum hosts. I haven't looked at the source yet, but it shouldn't be too hard to put in a button at the top of the page which executes a bit of Javascript to do the neccessary. I have actually emailed the webmaster with this suggestion already. Perhaps if we all do that something might happen.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

xfan

24th January 2009, 17:24
Royston, exist in a waterhole? Be Well.
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

claire

24th January 2009, 17:35
Have managed to get hold of Royston. He'll be back with us soon!!!
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

philip

24th January 2009, 19:15
As the person who started this dialogue, and all I did was to ask where Royston is (and I suspect by the absence of any comment from him on the subject, he is not logging on at the moment) I think the idea of having helpful hints is extemely good and if say the half dozen or so of us who have responded take on the task of ensuring that the hints keep moving up that should work.
I am still anxious about Royston, though!
Philip
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

terry

24th January 2009, 19:43
It won't do any good cluttering up the site with instructions to do this or do that.
I still say that newbies are not the real problem. When it is pointed out to them that clues,etc.would help,they oblige.
The real problem is the likes of the DT club (examples posted 1813/1823 today)which effectively excludes most users of this site from participating. It must be obvious to them that this is so. But will they change. That will be a no then.
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

terry

24th January 2009, 19:52
the 1934hrs posting is another good example that it is not newbies.
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

xfan

24th January 2009, 23:31
Royston. SU. (back to us).
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

xfan

24th January 2009, 23:31
Royston. SU. (back to us).
20 of 21  -   Report This Post