CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gwladysstreet

18th April 2015, 15:10
Q. Who led the Pedants' Revolt?
A. Which Tyler.
I can't help thinking that I am that Which.
The clue: "Dullness of old rocker - this person's gagging for the nobs! (6)". The answer "Tedium". My parsing has "Ted" as "old rocker", "I'm," this person, the setter", gagging for the nobs "U", "Tedium" being the definition.
But, Teds were not rockers. They pre-dated rock 'n 'roll by five years or so. Teds danced to different music: big bands. In the early 50s, Teds at the Hammersmith Palais in London, where they first appeared, were fans of the Ted Heath Orchestra. "The Creep" was the first Teddy Boy hit , followed by "Hot Toddy" and others.
"Ted" reputedly comes from "Edwardian", being the style of dress affected. It was said that these young working class lads were merely aping the walking out dress of Guards' officers. I don't believe it.
Later, younger lads and lasses may have embraced rock 'n' roll , but it was "young tearaways" who tore up cinema seats when "Rock Around The Clock" was shown, not Teds.
"Rockers" were a different species.
At all events, what must young puzzlers and tyro crossword-puzzlers make of the continuing occurrence of "Ted" in clues? Time to confine it to history?

1 of 29  -   Report This Post

rusty

18th April 2015, 15:12
Wat Tyler?
Give the number of letters next time, please.
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th April 2015, 15:16
Yes - it was Mods and Rockers who used to turn up to beat hell out of each other on Brighton beach every bank holiday - Mods on scooters, Rockers on motor bikes.
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

18th April 2015, 15:17
Teds in Bournemouth ripped up concert hall seats. Total disgrace !
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

18th April 2015, 15:22
gwladysstreet ..... there's nothing wrong in being pedantic when it comes to cryptic crosswords.
Can I call you "Which" from now on..... it's easier to type
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

18th April 2015, 20:06
Rusty, I did give the number of letters.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

18th April 2015, 20:14
I think Rusty missed your joke and actually read pedant as peasant
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

18th April 2015, 20:22
Forgive the Which, it's simply the sort of thing I learnt at my mother's knee, and other low joints.
An old timer told me that at the Hammersmith Palais, the Ted Heath Orchestra was so good that the boys and girls wouldn't dance but just crowd round the bandstand holding on to each other and just bopping on the spot . I like to think that they became known as "Ted's boys", and "Ted's girls", and thence Teddy Boys and Teddy Girls. But then I am an incurable romantic.
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

rusty

18th April 2015, 20:25
Bang on, Jazzgirl!
Read it as peasant and did not twig it as a joke!
Gwladysstreet, apologies!
I took it as meaning you did know it was Wat or Walter.
One minute later I felt a complete eejit!
I am glad you mentioned it though and hope the coast is clear to come out from behind the sofa!
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

18th April 2015, 21:04
rusty, I hope you are now ON the sofa watching BGT
10 of 29  -   Report This Post